Top 7 Backpacking Lighters Reviewed
- 1 Top 7 Backpacking Lighters Reviewed
- 1.1 Best Backpacking Lighter
- 1.2 Tips For Starting Your Campfires
When you head out on backpacking or camping, there are a few essentials you definitely want to bring with you and a lighter is definitely one of those items. I love backpacking and camping. I love the smell and warmth of a nice campfire, with the crackling sound of the wood as it burns.
In order to get your campfire or stove started, you are going to need something to help get it ignited. While it can be done with strike anywhere matches, I strongly suggest using a lighter.
Not all lighters are made equal, and some stand up to adverse weather better than others. Let’s face it, not every outdoor adventure is accompanied by great weather. There are times when the wind is howling and a match or plain old lighter is just not going to do. Starting a fire in the rain or the morning after heavy rain the night before is not always an easy thing.
Like most things in life, having the right tools for the job can make things a lot easier. While you could grab a $0.99 Bic mini and head out the door, it might not be in your best interests. Especially if you are going to be out camping or hiking for a few days. I kind of like the motto, ‘better safe than sorry’. That is why we put together this review for the best backpacking lighter. We understand that people have certain preferences for style, design, fuel type, and ignition for your lighters, so we including the ones that will fit the bill for anyone.
For those in a hurry to know, our choice for the best backpacking lighter is the Icfun Waterproof Lighter
Best Backpacking Lighter
The Icfun Waterproof lighter was our top choice for the best backpacking lighter. It is a great outdoor windproof lighter that sports a plasma dual arc for getting a fire started in windy and wet conditions. Anyone can start a fire when it’s warm and sunny with no breeze, but those are not the conditions you need to plan for when you are going backpacking, camping, or hiking. This is a great lighter to bring with you no matter what the outdoor adventure. If you are looking to add a new item to your survival and tactical gear that you always have just in case, this is a great addition for that as well.
The Icfun lighter has a great waterproof design with a metal ring seal and buckle that keeps things locked up tight. It’s easy to use by simply moving the buckle down and pressing the lock button. The lid will automatically flip open for you. Press the button for igniting the plasma lighter. No need to worry about the wind blowing out the flame.
The lighter comes in a nice looking gift box so it makes a perfect gift for the outdoor enthusiasts in your life. The lighter has a lanyard and whistle which comes in handy for emergency and survival gear. The lanyard attaches to the side of the lighter’s body, just below the cover. We like the lanyard because it is a great way to make sure you don’t leave your lighter laying around to get lost. Especially when you have your hands full with other things to build your fire like your hatchet and kindling.
The lighter has a lithium-ion battery which is rechargeable. If you use it 3 times a day for 3 seconds each time, the charge will last for around two weeks. You can charge it using a USB cable which is included. You can plug it into the wall, a computer, a power bank, or even better when you are camping, use a backpacking solar charger. The lighter is nice an compact weighing in at 3.52 ounces. You won’t be disappointed with this lighter.
- ❤️Waterproof Design ▶ waterproof lighter,metal-ring sealed lighter cover and locking clasp,IP56 WATERPROOF SYSTEM,water does not seep inside,no fear of rain,this waterproof lighter is your best choice when you go camping,travelling,survival tactical or hiking,arc lighter waterproof.
- ❤️Multipurpose ▶ windproof and flameless,usb rechargeable arc lighter,it is a perfect outdoor lighter,camping fire starter tool,emergency equipment,EDC Camping survival gear, gadgets for men and more.
- ❤️Economic & Eco-Friendly ▶ build-in rechargeable lithium battery,usb rechargeable electronic lighter,no gas or butane required,no more refilling,save you money,clean and convenient.About 2 hours full charged. There are obvious current voice when using,fashion and cool lighter.
- ❤️Convenient & Durable ▶ come with a thick paracord lanyard for better carrying during camping,hiking or other outdoor adventure. high-quality ABS and Zinc Alloy material,durable.
- ❤️After-sale Service ▶ 60 day guarantee,if you aren't love your lighter or any questions,please free to contact us,we are ready to help,we will provide a perfect solution.
We really like the double jet torch on the Guevara butane lighter. It puts out a steady and strong flame that is not easily blown out, which makes it a great backpacking and camping lighter. The lighter has a nice sturdy feel to it, but it is not overly heavy, weighing in at just 3.84 ounces.
Refilling the lighter is a breeze as well through the refill value. Turn the lighter upside down, insert the butane can, and fuel it for around 10-15 seconds. It’s always a good idea to wait a couple of minutes before using.
While plasma lighters have become a popular lighter style, some folks really like and appreciate the flame put out from a butane lighter. While a standard lighter puts out a flame, they can easily be blown out by the lightest of winds. Having a jet torch lighter like the Guevara makes them stand up to stronger winds and rainy conditions. While it does require refilling the fuel, it doesn’t require recharging, which some people find annoying.
The backside of the lighter has a clear window which allows you to see exactly how much fuel is left in the lighter’s fuel chamber. This is handy to help you determine if you need to refill it prior to heading out into the wild. If you are looking for a butane lighter with a nice strong flame that will hold up to the weather, this is a great choice for you.
- High Quality :Top Quality Sturdy Metal Body Lighter with Fuel Level Window, universal Refill Valve.
- Butane Refillable: Flame Height Adjustable. Butane Fuel Refillable. Lighter Does NOT Come Filled with Butane Due to Mailing Regulations.
- Strong Flame: Super Powerful Flame and Large Flame Base. Large Flame Base gives you a wider surface area that has no issue lighting objects in any size, Suitable for occasions like kitchen, BBQ, hiking, camping, cigar, cigarette, etc.
- Windproof:Strong 2 Jet Flame Butane Torch Windproof Lighter
- Packed in an elegant gift box. It’s a perfect gift for any occasions like, Wedding, Father’s Day, Birthday, Anniversary etc.
The Tough Tesla 2.0 lighter is another solid choice for a backpacking lighter. This plasma style lighter gives you a great dual arc for quick ignition to start your fires. This lighter is windproof and waterproof which is just what you want when you are hitting the trails or setting up your campsite. One of the unique features of this particular lighter is its “paratinder lanyard” which can be used to get a fire going in wet and windy conditions. It also has an emergency whistle attached which is handy if you are lost and trying to signal someone or if you want to send out a loud noise to scare of preditors you run across.
The lighter is powered by a Lithium-ion battery that is rechargeable using a USB cord. Again as mentioned previously, it’s always a good idea to have a portable solar-powered charger with you to easily charge items such as your cell phone, flashlights, or lanterns that use rechargeable batteries. The Tough Tesla lighter has a nice metal locking device to keep the cover in place to protect the top of the lighter.
Another handy feature of this particular lighter is the built-in flashlight with three settings to help you see when setting things up to start your fire when the sun has gone down. We like the fact that the lighter has a 6-month guarantee where you can essentially return the lighter for any reason. In addition, the company also has a three-year product warranty. Lastly, the top-mounted electrodes make for easier lighting.
- Rechargeable - Ignite a fire with the push of a button using your new favorite lighter. Use the included cable to charge your lighter anywhere with a USB port. Charging time is about 2 hours.
- Waterproof & Windproof – Works effortlessly in rainy or windy conditions. Electric lighter needs no butane or adjustments for altitude. Plastic Case with wire safety latch.
- Usage - Just touch the top-facing dual arcs to anything flammable and you'll have instant fire. Can be used 300 times per charge, with 10 second safety time-out.
- Flashlight - with 3 settings, para-tinder lanyard for lighting fires quickly & an emergency whistle. Perfect for camping, survival, or a backyard cookout.
- We back the Tough Tesla Lighter 2.0 with our 6 Month "Any Reason" Refund Guarantee and a 3 year product warranty. Ships quickly from USA. Live Customer Support if you ever need it.
So the Ronxs lighter has a different design than most of the other lighters we have reviewed. Depending on your stove or grill set up you use when you are camping, you may want a lighter that has a long, flexible neck. This helps to get to those tough to reach spots. It also gives you some distance when starting your campfire by keeping your hands and fingers back some from the fire as it starts. This can come in handy when you are teaching younger kids how to start a campfire.
The lighter comes with a safety switch to prevent it from accidentally igniting since it doesn’t have a cover similar to some of the other plasma style lighters. The 4-inch flexible neck has no problem rotating 360 degrees to get the Ronx lighter exactly where you want it. It is windproof and waterproof which makes it great for starting fires when the weather is not cooperating. No need to worry about the flame or needing to carry extra butane with you. One thing to note is you may have to be a little more cautious when packing it away with the rest of your gear so the neck doesn’t get damaged as there is no cover like the other lighters we reviewed.
Zippo lighters are just a classic, durable lighter that bring back memories for many people. They have been around for a long time, which is a testament to their quality and durability. While this lighter describes itself as a windproof lighter, and it will fight against most breezes, a howling wind will make it struggle. While this is a great lighter, it doesn’t have quite the same staying power that a butane torch has or plasma lighter for strong winds. Rarely will that be a problem, but something we noted as part of our review. With that being said if you love the Zippo brand and style, they do make a butane jet torch style which I think you’ll love.
The Zippo lighter is perfect for standing up to your outdoor adventures with its all-metal construction. They are made for a lifetime of use and come with a lifetime guarantee to back it up. We also appreciate the fact that Zippo lighters are made in the United States. I love carrying my Zippo (over twenty years old now) with me on my hiking and camping trips.
- Genuine Zippo windproof lighter with a distinctive Zippo click
- All metal construction; Windproof design works virtually anywhere
- Refillable for a lifetime of use; For optimum performance, we recommend genuine Zippo premium lighter fluid, flints, and wicks
- Made in USA; Lifetime guarantee that it works or we fix it free
- Fuel: Zippo premium lighter fluid (sold separately)
The TG Plasma lighter is another excellent choice for a windproof and waterproof lighter to bring with you while backpacking. It seals up nice and tight with the metal lock that secures the cover in place. The dual arc plasma lighter will start a fire in the roughest of weather conditions. It makes for a great EDC or survival lighter to have in your gear.
The lighter has a Lithium-ion battery which is rechargeable. As a safety feature, there is built-in short circuit protection for peace of mind. It’s strange to think of a lighter with “no-flame”, but I can assure you, this is a handy lighter for your camping trips. When fully charged, this lighter will provide 300 uses. A USB charger is included along with a handy lanyard to help you keep it secure. The lighter is compact for carrying and only weighs 3.49 ounces making it easy to throw in your backpack or pocket as you head out. For planning purposes keep in mind that it takes about 2 hours to fully charge the lighter. These make great gifts and will be appreciated by outdoor enthusiasts for essential gear.
- Silicone Rubber Casing
- Battery: Lithium Polymer, 220mAh - 2 Hour Charge Time
- Power: .81Wh, 3.7V USB Rechargeable (cable included)
- Button activated / Push-to-open cover / Locking mechanism
- Water and windproof plasma / Built-in short circuit protection
If you are looking for a great inexpensive, all-around lighter for camping and backpacking, it is worth considering the Bic multi-purpose lighter. Let’s face it, Bic lighters are some of the most popular lighters in the world and are used by millions of people.
These Bic lighters are great for general use for everyday camping to get your campfire going or lighting your camp stove. These work great 95% of the time but are not necessarily the best option for in-climate and windy weather. These lighters are super handy and we love that they come in a four-pack. They are also great for lighting candles or gas lanterns.
- Reliable and Safe, child-resistant, 100 percent quality inspected and long-lasting
- Long durable metal wand keeps hands away from fire
- Retractable hook for convenient storage
- Fuel Cartridge made in the USA
- Handle Colors May Vary
Tips For Starting Your Campfires
Having a great lighter, especially when there is wind and rain when trying to start your fire is a good thing. Along with a good backpacking lighter, knowing the best way to build a fire and the materials to use will get that fire roaring even faster. Here is a video with some great tips for starting your campfire when backpacking or camping.