7 Best Camping Hammocks For Your Outdoor Adventures
- 1 7 Best Camping Hammocks For Your Outdoor Adventures
- 1.1 Best Camping Hammock
- 1.1.1 1. SINGLE & DOUBLE CAMPING HAMMOCK WITH MOSQUITO/BUG NET
- 1.1.2 2. WISE OWL OUTFITTERS HAMMOCK CAMPING DOUBLE & SINGLE WITH TREE STRAPS
- 1.1.3 3. KOOTEK CAMPING HAMMOCK DOUBLE & SINGLE PORTABLE HAMMOCKS WITH 2 TREE STRAPS
- 1.1.4 4. ENO, EAGLES NEST OUTFITTERS SINGLENEST LIGHTWEIGHT CAMPING HAMMOCK
- 1.1.5 5. GRAND TRUNK ULTRALIGHT HAMMOCK
- 1.1.6 6. GRAND TRUNK SKEETER BEETER PRO MOSQUITO HAMMOCK
- 1.1.7 7. WINNER OUTFITTERS DOUBLE CAMPING HAMMOCK
- 1.2 Things To Consider When Buying A Camping Hammock
- 1.3 Tips On How To Properly Set Up Your Camping Hammock
- 1.4 Final Thoughts
- 1.1 Best Camping Hammock
Getting ready for a day hike or even an overnight camping trip, one of the first things I ask myself is, “How much camping gear do I want to take?” Let’s face it, every item you add to your backpack is going to add weight, so you should consider your camping checklist carefully. A camping hammock, in my opinion, is a great addition to the list of items you bring with you. Camping hammocks are light, store easily, and can be used in a variety of ways.
There are times when I just don’t feel like setting up a tent, and a camping hammock is a perfect replacement. There is just something I love about the idea of hiking to a campsite, strapping a hammock between two trees, knowing that is all I am going to need for shelter to sleep. No tent, no camper, just the hammock. Well, and a sleeping bag or bivy sack to help keep me warm, but those work well in a hammock also. It feels free and wild. They are quick to set up and much lighter than a tent.
Depending on where you go, insects such as mosquitos may be a problem. If that is the case, you can always get a camping hammock with a bug net built right in. You still have the freedom of the hammock, but it gives you protection from those pesky bugs.
Similar to the bug nets, you can also get a rain fly for your camping hammock. This will act as extra protection in the event you camping overnight and there is a chance for rain. Of course, there is always a chance for the weather to turn, so this might be a good investment.
Camping hammocks can be used for more than just sleeping overnight. If you are hiking into a remote pond or some other secluded area, you can set up the hammock next to the shore, between two trees, and enjoy resting there for a while. Staring out at the water and taking in the view is so relaxing. Camping hammocks are great to use in place of a camp chair as well. They do make some really nice compact backpacking chairs, but if you don’t have one of those, a regular camping chair is probably more than you want to carry on your hike. Instead, just set up your camping hammock so that it is at the right height for sitting, and just like that, problem solved!
*Disclosure: America’s State Parks is user-supported. We participate in programs where if you purchase an item through one of our links we may receive a small payment.
Sometimes you just want to experience the adventure of sleeping under the stars. Go ahead and live on the wild side! We’ll give you some guidance to find the best camping hammock.
Our choice for the best camping hammock is the Wise Owl Outfitters Camping Hammock
Here’s a quick comparison of the best camping hammocks we look at.
Best Camping Hammock
Let’s face it – the most challenging part of camping is dealing with annoying bugs and blood-sucking mosquitoes that threaten to ruin your sleep. If you share the same problem, then the Single & Double Camping Hammock with a Mosquito bug net is a great choice for you. It comes equipped with a durable bug net that’s built into the design and permanently attached to the hammock by forming a sort of mesh canopy over the top.
At first glance, you can already tell that this isn’t your ordinary backyard hammock. It’s fashioned from durable nylon material made with 210T premium quality fabric. 210T stands for 210 threads. The higher thread count represents a greater density and tighter weave. To give you an idea of just how strong that is, it’s the same material used for skydiving parachutes. The nylon material of this hammock will have no problem supporting you.
This hammock comes in two sizes to choose from. The single version supports up to 500 pounds in weight, while the double design is capable of holding two people with a combined weight of 600 pounds. It comes in a complete kit with tree straps and steel carabiners. Everything you need comes neatly packed and delivered inside a handy storage bag.
We liked the reversible design and the fact it had a built-in bug net. It has a great heavy-duty nylon construction. It also comes with a free carry bag, which makes it nice for storing in your backpack. One thing to note is the mosquito net is not removable from this camping hammock.
- A TRUE HAMMOCK FOR CAMPING: This is one of those camping hammocks you can actually sleep in outside. The compact & lightweight portable parachute hammock comes in an elegant pouch with all its installation tools. Ideal for solo adventures, camping, hiking, backpacking, travel, emergency.
- All THE INSTALLATION TOOLS INCLUDED: Our outdoor Hammock comes with 2 easy-setup hammock straps(32 adjustment loops +20ft long combined)+2 carabiners (Single Hammock: 2 Solid steel D-shape / Double Hammock:2*12KN ultralight & heavy duty carabiners)+2 net ropes at valued more than $22 on Amazon. NO need to buy any other tree straps or carabiners. Save your TIME and MONEY. Perfect gifts for him/her.
- FOR SOUND SLEEPS: Love into the wild adventures, camping and backpacking. If so, then this backpacking hammock with net is the answer. Use it as a sleeping bed. Best gift idea for camping lovers. Flip it over and use it as a relaxing tree hammock in seconds!
- QUALITY MEETS ENDURANCE: Made of high quality 210T parachute nylon materials (the same kind skydivers and eno hammocks use!) and special designed durable net fabric(2 times density than similar products on the market). This lightweight portable hammock is designed to accommodate even your most demanding camping needs.
- GET THIS CAMPING HAMMOCK RISK FREE: 100% Lifetime Guarantee. Sunyear take pride in top quality products & great customer service. So if you’re not 100% satisfied, don’t hesitate to let us know. We’ll make sure you get a FULL REFUND!
With high-quality features and a competitive price tag, it’s easy to see why the Wise Owl Outfitters Camping Hammock in a double or single size with tree straps is a popular choice for camping hammocks. As a matter of fact, it was our choice for the best camping hammock.
The package comes complete with tree straps and carabiners that make installation relatively fast, even for beginners. Once you’ve used this product a few times, you can probably get it strung up in two minutes or less.
This hammock features a typical end-gathered design with voluminous nylon fabric that’s spacious enough to sit sideways or lie down diagonally, which is the best position. The straps on either end are attached with webbing and sewn-in loops that are intended for easy adjustment.
There’s no need to tie complicated knots to get the hammock set up. All you have to do is lock it into place and you’re good to go.
Despite its affordable price, this hammock is durable and strong, withstanding up to 400 pounds in weight. With a lightweight build of only 22 ounces, there’s a lot of room to add extra accessories like a tarp or mosquito net for protection.
We liked the affordable price and lightweight, compact design. It is easy to adjust the tree straps and it is roomy with lots of space to stretch. The installation is easy, which is always a great selling point, and the fabric has interlocking stitching to adds durability to this camping hammock.
- Comfortable: Whether you're relaxing by the fire or sleeping under the stars, our camping hammock has everything you need to stay comfy and covered throughout the night for your next fall camping trip, or even just lounging in your backyard.
- Compact: Lightweight and convenient, our travel hammock weighs only 24oz and folds to the size of an eggplant. Single Hammock measures at 9 feet long by 4.5 feet wide for one person, and the Double Hammock measures 10 feet long by 6.5 feet wide for either two people or anyone who wants some extra space. Throw it in your backpack and go!
- Easy Setup: Equipped with 9ft long tree straps and carabiners, our tree hammock makes setting up a breeze. It also features 5 separate loops, so you can adjust it to the perfect height. Single hammock holds up to 400 lbs, while the Double Hammock holds up to 500 lbs.
- Premium Quality: Built to last a lifetime, our heavy-duty hammocks for camping are crafted with soft yet strong parachute nylon and triple interlocking stitching, along with strong carabiners and tree friendly hammock straps
- Holiday Gifts: If you're looking for a thoughtful holiday gift for the outdoorsy person in your life, look no further! Our camping hammock makes for a great hiking and camping gifts for men and women.
From day lounging to overnight excursions, the Kootek Camping Hammock is a great hammock to consider for your next camping trip. It checks all three items on my list of basic features to look for in a camping hammock: comfort, versatility, and durability.
Like other products on this list, this camping hammock meets premium standards with its 210T parachute nylon construction. But what makes it stand out is its reinforced design. It features triple-stitched seams that prevent tearing and scathing, especially on the middle surface that supports the most weight.
This camping hammock is also one of the largest hammocks in the market today, with an overall length that supports users up to 6.5 feet in height. For tall outdoor enthusiasts, this is a great purchase.
I personally love products that have eco-friendly features, and this camping hammock is one of my favorites because it’s safe for both you and the environment. The straps come with enough length and multiple loops to wrap loosely around tree trunks so it doesn’t cause any undue damage to the trees.
We liked the long straps with plenty of attachment options. It is sturdy and strong construction, which makes it feel comfortable and stable.
- Enjoy the Swing: Lie down and rest with your friends, kids or lovers, relax in complete comfort under the sway. There are multiple colors available in the Kootek hammock. Large size (118''L X 78''W) fit for 2 persons, holding up to 500lb (226. 80kg).
- Super Lightweight: Can be folded into the small attached sack, portable to carry and fits into backpack. It is a great replacement for tent, sleeping pad, ground mat, swing, cradle, etc.
- Adjustable Tree-friendly Straps: Each strap 10 feet long with 18+1 loops, easily locking the carabineers to any loops which adjust a perfect height and comfort level. No need to tie any knots and not damaging the trees.
- Durable & Comfortable: Made of 210T parachute fabric material, has excellent antifraying, anti-tearing, dirty resistance. Easy to be cleaned and dry quickly after being wet.
- Great Gift: Various of color to select, ideal gift for friends, kids, lovers, father, mother, traveler, beach visitors, tent campers who loves traveling camping, backpacking hiking for a relax. Or hanging the hammock and relaxing on it in the patio.
The ENO, Eagles Nest Outfitters SingleNest Lightweight Camping Hammock is every backpacker’s best friend when traveling. With a maximum weight of only 17 ounces, it’s lightweight enough to carry around anywhere.
The best part is that it folds up into a small compact bundle. And when I say small, I mean it compresses down to the size of a softball and fits right in the palm of your hand. That is great when you looking to travel as light as possible.
While I personally prefer more space in a camping hammock, this one is surprisingly so comfortable that you won’t even notice the smaller size right away.
The parachute nylon fabric is equipped with triple stitching that offers a great balance between durability and comfort. Its breathable and sturdy construction makes it an excellent choice for all-around use. The smaller size makes this a nice choice for kids as well.
We liked the space-efficient design. The hammock folds up easily for convenient storage and the nylon fabric is soft on the skin.
It is easy to set up and takedown. Again, this is a good choice for smaller to average-sized campers, but not as good for larger campers.
Even if you’ve never tried sleeping on a hammock before, you’ll love the Grand Trunk Ultralight Hammock because it’s a great entry-level product with a price that won’t empty out your pockets.
At the top of its many features is its easy-to-setup design. It doesn’t come with tree straps but instead comes with small but extremely durable S-hooks at either end. This makes for easy attachment.
Who wants to spend their time struggling to set up their camping hammock when you could be hiking or simply relaxing.
One of the things that makes this hammock a little different is instead of the usual nylon material that most camping hammocks are made of, this one features a unique polyester construction. Polyester is quick-drying, stretch resistant, and smooth. It is also easy to wash and resistant to mildew.
This camping hammock is beginner-friendly, but probably best for daytime hangouts and afternoon lounging. It is quick-drying and moisture resistant with its polyester fabric. It is lightweight with a compact design so it will fit nicely into your pack when stored in its free carry bag. Take note though, some people feel polyester material is less comfortable compared to nylon, which tends to be a little softer.
- PERFECT STARTER HAMMOCK: Ultralight and comfortable, take it anywhere and anytime. Whether you just need to relax in your backyard or take a break during a hike, this hammock has got you covered.
- SINGLE USE: With weight capacity at 300lbs and dimensions of 9'6" x 4'6", the single hammock is ideal for the young adventurer.
- DURABLE: Equipped with triple-lock stitched seams and 2 nautical-grade carabiners to get you all set up.
- EASY TO TRANSPORT: When you are all done using the single hammock, fold it up and place it right back into its carry bag and you are on your way.
- IDEAL GIFT: Grand Trunk Hammocks are the perfect gift for adventurers both young and old. Take a nap, read a book, relax and more with this stylin' hammock.
Being from a state like Maine, the woods are buzzing with mosquitos and black flies during the late spring and early summer months. It only takes one night’s sleep for you to love the Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro Mosquito Hammock.
With a traditional end-gathered design and 70D parachute nylon construction, this camping hammock provides just the right balance between comfort and durability to help you sleep like a baby wherever you go. Not to mention it does a great job at keeping those pesky flies off you.
Its main standout feature is the built-in mosquito net that’s suspended at a higher height, leaving enough space to move around. It comes in an off-white color so the netting doesn’t obstruct your view while you’re inside. For me, this is important since I want to enjoy as much of the natural beauty around me when I am camping. Setting up and taking down this hammock is easy to do by simply clipping the carabiner to the suspension.
On days when the bugs aren’t biting, this hammock’s reversible design allows you to flip it over for net-free lounging and even doubles as a sleeping bag that you can use on the ground thanks to its reversible design. We like the thin mosquito net that doesn’t block your view in this large and comfortable camping hammock. Being east to set up and having hefty zippers to add durability earns this hammock a spot in our list on the top choices.
- BUG-FREE HAMMOCK: Grey No-See-Um mosquito netting hangs overhead and away from you so you can still read a book or sip a drink without feeling claustrophobic. Keeping you comfortable on the inside while keeping mosquitoes and other bugs on the outside.
- EASY ENTRY AND EXIT: Double-sided zipper makes getting in and out of the hammock a seamless process. Triple-stitched reinforcements on the mesh and fabric additionally boost the hammock's strength.
- MULTI-FUNCTIONAL: If the coast is clear and you donʼt need the mosquito netting, just ﬂip the hammock over and sit on it as a normal hammock.
- BACKPACKING, CAMPING, AND OUTDOOR ADVENTURE FRIENDLY: No matter what adventure you are on, its got you covered. Two interior storage pockets keep smaller items organized (like the ones in a tent).
- ADDITIONALLY INCLUDED: 2 nautical grade carabiners, starter rope kit, suspension cord, and stuff sack for stress-free travel
I like to think of my camping hammock as a couch between two trees when I am out and about for my outdoor adventures. While the Winner Outfitters Double Camping Hammock might not be as comfortable as a couch, it makes a great hammock.
Its 210T Nylon fabric construction is designed to hold a lot of pressure while not being too heavy. When set up, it also offers just the right amount of swing and suspension, helping you get a good night’s sleep under the stars.
Despite weighing only 1.5 pounds, this camping hammock is large enough to accommodate users who weigh up to 500 pounds. If you are a heavier camper, this is probably the hammock for you.
This hammock comes with sturdy tree ropes and solid-built carabiners that really stands out when it comes to durability. We like the double hammock size, which fits two people with enough room to lie down comfortably. The ropes are sturdy and tree-friendly, which is important to us. As with most nylon hammocks, the fabric is soft and breathable. The Winner Outfitters hammock is definitely a solid choice.
- Comfortably Supporting Up To 500 lbs: This double hammock fits 2 persons, You can lay down with your friend or loved one and you will still have plenty of room. Because of the new 210T nylon parachute fabric, the BACKPACKING hammocks provide relaxing support up to 500 lbs
- Super Lightweight And Easy Setup: The backpacking hammock can be used for camping, travel, beach, yard. You will have everything you need for quick and easy hanging setup. It will take less than 3 minutes to hang your camping hammock on a tree or nearby objects using the ropes, strips and carabiners
- Great Gift: Adults, kids, people who travel, beach visitors, tent campers and fellow Winner - all say they LOVE IT! A great gift for traveling, camping, backpacking, or just hanging it and relaxing on it in the patio
- Package: Includes one double camping hammock 118”(Long) x 78”(Wide), two tree friendly straps(each 118”(Long)), and two solid steel carabiners.This tree straps have 16 loops (32 combined), easy to adjust. You can get the hammock adjusted as per the required height.118” long enough for trees, posts, large rocks.
- Holiday Gift Choice for Christmas, We provide detailed instructions for use and maintenance procedures in the pictures and description, if there are other problems, we will reply you in the first time.
Things To Consider When Buying A Camping Hammock
Fortunately, camping hammocks overall are pretty inexpensive. For between $20 and $40 you can get a decent hammock. Granted, if you are planning on camping in the Canadian Tundra in February with your hammock, you’ll need an insulated quilt and cold weather sleeping pads. Then again, you probably need to see a counselor if that is your plan anyway, so factor that cost in!
Do You Need A Bug Net On Your Hammock
When visiting places like Maine, where the unofficial state bird is a mosquito, you may want to consider either purchasing a hammock with a built-in bug net or purchase one separately that you can use with your hammock. If your primary purpose in purchasing a hammock is for sleeping overnight in the woods where there are a lot of insects, they, by all means, consider the built-in bug net. If day lounging is your plan, or you want a place to sit while you are hiking, you may want to consider one without the built-in bug net, which will be easier and more comfortable.
Are There Trees To Hang Your Hammock
Okay, so this should be an obvious one, but you need trees to use the suspension system that goes with a camping hammock. If you are above the treeline or planning on camping in the desert, you may need to rethink your shelter. To keep things lightweight, you could always go with a bivy sack instead of a tent.
Suspension Straps May Not Be Included
Make sure you check the details to see if the camping hammock comes with the suspension straps included or not. If they do not, then you will need to purchase them separately. Do you know what they call a camping hammock without a suspension strap? A tarp. Don’t get stuck without a suspension system on your camping trip.
Consider a Hammock Rainfly To Keep You Dry
Just like in a tent, you can use a rainfly to keep you dry if it starts to rain. You can purchase a rainfly specifically for a hammock, or you could just consider using a tarp over a guyline or rope.
Tips On How To Properly Set Up Your Camping Hammock
While you would think setting up a hammock is pretty straightforward, there are a few tips and tricks to give you the greatest success.
Following the advice of seasoned hammock users will help you get your hammock set up properly, making it stable, and comfortable when laying in it. You’ll see the three biggest mistakes people often make when setting up their camping hammock.
We love being outside and enjoying nature. Having a camping hammock with you can come in handy and they are pretty light and easy to pack away. As you are packing things, it’s well worth considering throwing one in your pack with the rest of your gear.