6 Best Folding Saws For Backpacking And Camping
- 1 6 Best Folding Saws For Backpacking And Camping
- 1.1 Best Folding Camp Saw For Backpacking
- 1.1.1 1. Home Planet Gear Folding Hand Saw Multi-Purpose 8” Triple Cut Carbon Steel
- 1.1.2 2. Corona RS 7245 Razor Tooth Folding Saw
- 1.1.3 3. Mossy Oak 3 in 1 Folding Hand Saw with Solid TPR Soft Grip, Pouch Included
- 1.1.4 4. Silky Professional BIGBOY 2000 Folding SAW XL Teeth
- 1.1.5 5. REXBETI Folding Saw, Heavy Duty Extra Long Blade Hand Saw
- 1.1.6 6. Silky Folding Landscaping Hand Saw GOMBOY 240 Large Teeth 294-24
- 1.1.7 Folding Saw Tips and Techniques
- 1.1 Best Folding Camp Saw For Backpacking
Whether you are camping or backpacking, a folding saw is an incredibly handy tool when you need to make quick work to saw up fallen branches or trees. They are the perfect tool for cutting your wood to the perfect length to fuel your campfire.
When it comes to bushcraft a folding saw is a huge help as well. Not only can you use your bushcraft folding saw for your campfire, but it is invaluable when making a shelter. It can help reduce the amount of time it takes to build your shelter and also give things a tighter fit.
Now don’t get me wrong, no one ever said, sawing wood was easy, but having a sharp, well-designed folding saw while camping will help you tackle that pile of wood in no time at all. It is well worth including on your camping checklist.
While a hatchet or ax is the right piece of equipment for splitting larger pieces of wood into kindling, a folding saw will get those trees and branches to the perfect size in no time.
Let’s face it, a campfire is not designed to be a bonfire, piled high with long lengths of wood just thrown any which way. Having a folding saw with you is the easiest way to cut the wood to length and adjust it to the size of your fire ring. Fire safety is an important aspect of camping.
As rugged outdoor adventurers, we take pride in our skills and abilities. Need to create a quick shelter to protect you from the elements? You need a saw. See trees blown down across the hiking trail after a big storm? You need a saw! Need to fight off a wild pack of wolves? Good luck with that, you are definitely going to need something other than a folding saw!
**Disclosure: America’s State Parks is user-supported. We participate in programs where if you purchase an item through one of our links we may receive a small payment.
The great thing about a folding saw you purchase for backpacking or camping is that unlike a lot of camping gear, it is just as useful around the yard as it is around the campsite. We love the practical dual use of the folding saw, making it a worthy purchase.
Having a folding saw versus a fixed blade saw means that when you store it or place it in your backpack, it provides a protective cover so you don’t have to worry about cutting yourself or damaging your gear.
Our top choice for folding saws for camping and backpacking:
For those of you in a hurry, our choice for the best folding saw for camping and backpacking is the Corona RS 7245 Razor Tooth Folding Saw
Best Folding Camp Saw For Backpacking
There are few saws in this price range that can deliver on so many fronts. Home Planet Gear has created a truly solid competitor for the best budget folding saw. Indeed, this family-owned, American company stands behind it (you shouldn’t stand in front of a sharp saw, after all!) They offer a lifetime satisfaction guarantee, which always raises my expectations of a product.
You could pay significantly more and still be satisfied that you’re getting a quality saw for the price, but for less than $20, this little folding product is impressively capable. The carbon steel blade is sharp and saws cleanly on the pull cut, which is great when you’re gathering firewood for a campsite. It keeps gravity on your side, always a plus. The adjustable blade also locks securely open to prevent accidents.
No teeth are exposed when folded, so it could safely bump around in a backpack without fear of snagging. At less than 10 inches and only about 10 ounces, I’d rate it a 10 as a supremely practical tool to pack. It’s slim enough to even slip into a large pocket when you need both hands free. It’s durable and feels rugged. I’d take this on a hiking trip confident that it would help provide firewood with minimal effort. Home Planet Gear’s folding saw is a sharp contrast to most similar tools for the price!
- Premium Quality - The EverSaw Folding Saw is a rugged pull cut hand saw built to last with a medium-tooth 8 inch SK5 carbon steel blade. You’ll always have a good grip on the ribbed rubber handle of our small hand saw thanks to an ergonomic and non-slip design
- Pull Cut Design - The triple-cut razor teeth of your backpacking saw are made for pull cut sawing with 9 teeth per inch (9TPI) to provide smooth fast sawing. Hardened to stay sharp your small saw for wood can cut through branches, bone and even PVC plastic up to 4 inches in diameter
- Multipurpose - From camping and survival in the great outdoors to everyday yard work and landscaping our pocket folding saw is up to the task. You can use our mini folding saw as a folding camp saw, backpack saw, folding tree saw, folding garden saw, survival saw, tree branch saw, limb saw, game saw or add it to your hunting saw set
- Safe and Secure Blade Lock - Your safety is our top priority with your foldable saw so our blade is specially designed with a stronger dependable gear lock to secure the open blade firmly in place. The extended full length of the blade and handle is 17 inches and 9½ inches when closed with no teeth exposed for safe carry
- Lifetime Guarantee - At Home Planet Gear we stand by our products and offer a full replacement warranty if you experience any issues with your HPG product. Simply contact HPG directly through the Amazon messaging system and we will be happy to assist you with any questions, issues or difficulties you encounter. 100% customer satisfaction is what we strive for at HPG
Despite the company name possibly conjuring thoughts of infamy, Corona’s folding saw is well renowned as a tool for the good of humanity. And no wonder. It’s cheap, it’s light, it’s small, and (no minor fact) it cuts. Well. The fact it’s the number one rated hand pruning saw on Amazon speaks for itself.
The impulse-hardened carbon steel blade boasts three-sided teeth for efficiency. The chrome plating holds up well. It’s ideal for my little bushes and trees that need annual pruning. Any branch less than 3 inches is no sweat for this little saw, and therefore very little sweat for you. I appreciate that it locks both in the open and closed positions, so there’s no worry either way. The curved design makes the sawing dynamic and simple. I did notice that when it’s closed, the teeth are still slightly exposed so be careful with that.
Ultimately, you really can’t beat it for the price. It is a great folding saw. Other reviewers say you could expect a solid year of regular use before the blade dulls significantly. I’d keep the Corona saw handy for regular use around the yard. Since it’s sharp, only about half a pound, the pistol grip handle leaves no strain even after a busy day clearing some brush, and the price doesn’t make me cringe even if I tax its limits, this is one of those tools I don’t know how I ever lived without.
- Blasts through small and medium branches with ease
- Use it for faster, cleaner, smoother and easier cutting
- Each whetstone-ground razor tooth is sharpened with 3 angles
- Ideal for green or hard, dead, and frozen limbs
- Cuts twice as fast as conventional saws
They really thought of everything when Mossy Oak created this slick 9 and ½ inch folded saw. The simple fact is, certain blades are better suited for specific uses than others. This saw meets that challenge with 3 interchangeable blades. The handle itself is slip-resistant and soft, so it would be worth the simple effort of switching blades depending on need. The pruning blade was 5 teeth per inch, the hardwood/plastic blade has 11, the metal blade with the finest teeth has 18. All three of them slide into individual slots in the accompanying carrying case, so you never have to worry about catching something with an exposed edge, or being caught without the appropriate blade for the job.
The bright green lock mechanism is easy to click safely for assured open or closing. If you have the habit of putting your thumb over the back of the blade, this might be a positioning issue, but it cuts so well that you shouldn’t feel the need to put excessive pressure on it. Small trees and branches pose very little challenge to this sharp saw.
This product feels well made, sturdy, and usable. The fact you can order replacement blades means the upfront investment can last a long time without having to buy a completely new saw when the blades dull. But at just over $20, it isn’t hard to commit anyway.
- Three types of blades,sharp for smooth, fast and clear sawing: 1.Wood blade:5TPI,65Mn,length 190mm(7.5inch); 2.Plastic blade:11TPI ,65Mn,length 200mm(8inch); 3.Metal blade:18TPI ,58CrV,length 190mm(7.5inch)
- Easily cuts for wood, bone & plastic metal, multi-purpose utility job saw, easy and safe to carry
- Eronomic slip-resistant comfort grip handle
- Easily and securely locks into 2 different angle positions for smooth and easy cut
This saw’s name epitomizes its specs. It’s the biggest of the folding saws we’re reviewing, with a 14.2 inch blade that’s double the size of most of the others, and at 1 pound and a quarter, it’s the heaviest. You can buy this in tandem with Silky’s curved saw or hatchet for a more intensive woodcraft. It’s sharp. It’s tough. It has big teeth. There’s nothing diminutive about this saw – unless you’re trying to downsize from an actual chainsaw. As far as handsaws go, the Silky Bigboy can practically compete with its motorized competition.
Silky saws are manufactured in a region of Japan known for consistently high-quality steel craftmanship. They have SK4 carbon steel, taper ground, impulse hardened blades. The Bigboy’s blade is 1.8 mm thick, and it cuts smoothly. The curved blade has two open lock positions and a spring-loaded lever lock. You can buy a sheath separately and might want to so you can free your hands for carrying, but it closes securely on itself without exposed edges.
This is not for a light camping trip, but if your outdoor adventures would require an ax, this is a much lighter and more efficient option and would be safe in a pack even without the sheath. It can cut small trees or large branches without difficulty. It’s bright yellow, so misplacing it is hard to do too. Sharp and quick, Silky’s big saws are designed so you can use the length to reach tougher, thicker wood than most handsaws. It makes woodwork smooth. You could even say it makes it silky.
Most folding saws cut only on the pull stroke. Rexbeti’s long blade is unique because it has staggered teeth that allow you to cut on both push and pull strokes. This makes it more like a traditional hand saw which really shines in horizontal cutting (for carpentry work or bone sawing, for example), but unlike hand saws, the Rexbeti saw is also able to fold closed.
For sawing precut wood, this is hands down the best choice for the group. It has an 11-inch blade of SK5 steel and folds to just under a foot with no exposed teeth, making storage and transport much easier and safer than a traditional saw. The rubber-coated polymer handle feels comfortable during use. It is on the heavy side to lug for days in the woods, but no other folding saw can offer the same ease when it comes to clearing up 6 or 7 downed trees in the yard.
Rexbeti products come with a lifetime warranty. The design feels rugged even while maintaining some flexibility. It’s great quality and the price is great. After the next windstorm does its dirty work, this would be an ideal tool to make my backyard presentable again. This is also the kind of saw I could use to involve my teenage son in spring clean up, initiating him in the finer points of good old fashioned woodcraft – with the benefit of a technologically advanced comfortable hand saw. I’m sure he’ll appreciate it.
- Durable SK-5 steel blade for efficient cutting during camping survival bushcraft landscaping and general yard work
- Heavy duty rugged 11" long blade helps you power through thick branches faster, 11" blade is ideal for cutting 6" - 7" diameter branches
- Aggressive staggered teeth ( 7 TPI ) allows ultra smooth and sharp sawing
- Comfortable and longer rubber coated polymer handle ensures a firm grip in any weather condition
- Extra long design folding saw
The Gomboy Landscaping Saw is a well-established leader in the folding saw class. It has a well-earned reputation as one of the top performers for quality, ease of cutting, and light transportability. This bestselling saw has a 9 ½ inch impulse hardened blade that is ideal for an afternoon of pruning or cutting a quick pile of firewood for the night.
Most folding saw blades are chrome coated, but the Gomboy 240 is not. This allows you to maintain the blade because the company expects it to last for many seasons of work. This saw unfolds to almost 20 inches, but it’s only just over half a pound. You can throw it in your pack and still open a long, high performing workhorse. Silky offers different types of interchangeable blades, so you can opt for a better configuration depending on the type of work you want to focus on.
The clear plastic carrying case makes it easy to contain the saw as well as safely spend a day with it in your backpack. It’s very sharp and quick; you might not want to send it on the kids’ camping trip until they’ve proven they’re capable of the finesse required for a high functioning tool.
Tight friction holds the blade in the handle securely without a locking mechanism. Many of the folding saws tend to be better either for a camping trip or a day of pruning. The Gomboy is a capable option for either setting. It’s probably one of the most versatile and effective wood processing tools on the market. Small enough to tuck into a pocket so you have both hands free, big enough to tackle thicker branches than a lot of blades would ever dream of, the Gomboy by Silky is a cut above the rest.
Folding Saw Tips and Techniques
So once you purchase your folding saw, I am sure you will be eager to try it out. Here are some great tips and tricks for your saw and the proper technique when using it. We think you will find a folding saw a great addition for your next camping or backpacking trip.