The 7 Best Inflatable Kayaks For 2022
- 1 The 7 Best Inflatable Kayaks For 2022
- 1.1 Summary Table Of The Top Inflatable Kayaks
- 1.2 Best Inflatable Kayak
- 1.2.1 #1. ADVANCED ELEMENTS ADVANCED FRAME CONVERTIBLE INFLATABLE KAYAK
- 1.2.2 #2. SEVYLOR QUIKPAK K5 1-PERSON KAYAK
- 1.2.3 #3. INTEX EXPLORER K2 KAYAK, 2-PERSON INFLATABLE KAYAK
- 1.2.4 #4. INTEX EXCURSION PRO KAYAK, PROFESSIONAL SERIES INFLATABLE FISHING KAYAK
- 1.2.5 #5. THE DRIFTSUN ROVER 220 INFLATABLE TANDEM WHITE-WATER KAYAK
- 1.2.6 #6. SEVYLOR BIG BASIN 3-PERSON KAYAK
- 1.2.7 #7. SEA EAGLE 330 DELUXE INFLATABLE KAYAK
- 1.3 Things To Consider When Buying An Inflatable Kayak
- 1.4 Choosing An Inflatable Kayak Video
So, why do people love inflatable kayaks? Simple, it is because they are just so easy to store when they are not in use and you can literally just throw it in your car and go.
With an inflatable kayak, there is no need for a roof rack or a trailer to haul it with. Not to mention, regular kayaks can be pretty hefty to lift, especially on your own when loading and unloading from your vehicle. No need to worry about back strain with an inflatable kayak as they tend to be much lighter overall.
For those in a hurry, our choice for the best inflatable kayak is The DriftSun Rover 220 Inflatable Tandem White-Water Kayak
We take a look at the 7 best inflatable kayaks to help you with your outdoor adventures on the water. The great thing is you can use it for fishing, a leisurely paddle around the lake, or camping adventures. Essentially, whatever you would do with a regular kayak, you can do with your inflatable one.
Summary Table Of The Top Inflatable Kayaks
Best Inflatable Kayak
The AdvancedFrame from AdvancedElements is a combination of the inflatable and folding kayak. In fact, it is one of the top inflatable kayaks on the market.
This hybrid kayak is best for touring and enjoying the still water. It has aluminum ribs and the sterns which drive through the water and cut the waves in the same way as a hard shell kayak.
Also, its 32-inch base prevents the kayak from flipping. Having such a wonderful structure, advanced kayak allows the users to enjoy the inflatable kayak. It is highly portable which makes it easy to carry around.
Coming to the inflation and deflation timing, Advanced Frame kayak takes about 15 minutes to inflate and 10 min to deflate. Moreover, the single, as well as tandem model, is pre-assembled. For the added comfort, there is a padded seat which is also adjustable, so you will not feel uncomfortable even on longer journeys.
AdvancedFrame kayak comes with a multilayer construction which makes it puncture-proof and durable. Once purchased, it will last for years. Although it is suitable for one, you can get a bigger version for more people. In the bigger version, there are 3 seats that can be adjusted accordingly for up to two paddlers.
- Comes with an inbuilt aluminum rib frame which offers outstanding steering
- Highly durable
- As sturdy as a hard kayak
- Padded seats
- Recommended for beginners
- Puncture resistant
- A bit heavier
- Zippers feel a little loose
- Built-in aluminum ribs define the bow and stern and improves tracking
- Three layers of material for extreme puncture resistance.Folded size 35 X 21 X 12 inches. Max Weight-550 pounds. Weight-52 pounds
- Pre-assembled at the factory; simply unfold, inflate, and attach the seats
- High support, adjustable padded seats provide comfort for hours of paddling
- Three seat locations allow for paddling solo or tandem
- OPTIONAL DECK with Honey Comb Rip Stop Fabric Attach the optional Single Deck or Double Deck kit
Sevylor Quikpak K5 kayak is the first choice of solo travelers. It is best for slow-moving waters and lakes. It is highly portable and easy to use. You can quickly fold it into an integrated backpack which also comes with padded shoulder straps.
The back is quite sturdy, it can hold the pump, paddles, and a few other accessories. Once packed, it serves as a seat and thus, doesn’t take additional space.
The Quikpak K5 is good for last-minute kayak trips as it can inflate in just 5 minutes via double lock valves. It comes with a tarpaulin base which is made up of polyester and also features a 24-gauge PVS construction which makes the kayak puncture resistant. There are D-rings in which you can attach additional accessories and equipment.
- Easy to transport
- Inflates just in 5 minutes
- Comes with a hand pump and paddle
- Offers 1-year warranty
- The quality of paddle is no
- Not recommended for long journeys
- 5-minute setup lets you spend more time on the water
- Easy-to-carry backpack system turns into the seat
- 24-gauge PVC construction is rugged for lake use
- Tarpaulin bottom and polyester cover provide durable protection from punctures
- Multiple air chambers allow another chamber to stay inflated if one is punctured
- Double Lock valves use two locking points for easy inflation/deflation
- Spray covers block splashes to help keep you dry
- D-Rings are an easy way to attach other equipment
- Secure storage areas let you safely store items with bungees
Intex Explorer K2 kayak is recommended for slow-moving waters. It is a basic kayak with no advanced features which makes it suitable for beginners who are looking for an affordable and functional kayak at a low price.
Although it is a simple kayak, you have to take proper care of it as it is less durable when compared to the other kayaks. On a positive note, this can last for a few years if you use it occasionally and take care of it well.
This kayak is very easy to set up and comes with adjustable seats and a carry bag. The seats are comfortable and can hold up to 400 lbs pretty well. It can be easily used by two average persons. However, plus-sized individuals may find it difficult to fit their legs properly. But average-sized individuals can easily go for long trips.
There is enough space at the back of the paddler to store extra camping gear and food. Intex Excursion Pro kayak is an excellent option if you are looking for added comfort and higher specifications.
- Recommended for occasional use
- Good holding capacity
- Adjustable seats
- Not recommended for tall individuals
- Not as durable as high end models
- Comfortable for anyone: Kayak includes an adjustable inflatable seat with backrest; Cockpit designed for comfort and space
- Dimensions: Inflated size 10 feet 3 x 3 feet x 1 feet 8 inch; Maximum weight capacity: 400 pounds
- Directional stability: Removable SKEG for directional stability
- Increased visibility: In case of emergency, bright yellow color helps visibility
- Made for smaller bodies of water: Explorer k2 is made for smaller bodies of water including lakes and mild rivers
Intex Excursion Pro is an excellent kayak for the paddlers who are looking for comfort more than anything. It feels like an air mattress when you first sit on it. So, if you want to avoid the hard surfaces of boats then you can go for this.
Another plus of this kayak is it features two adjustable seats. This is best for people with a bad back because of its ergonomic design. Further, you need to inflate these seats on the basis of the cushioning level you want. There is also a removable seat booster that can raise the height of your seat according to your comfort, so it is excellent for tall paddlers. To keep the seats in place, there are buckles which prevent it from rocking in the water.
Other than the comfortable seats, the Intex Excursion Pro features two footrests which are also adjustable. These footrests make it very convenient to adjust the seats as per the level of your comfort. All you need to do is to fix their position. The holding capacity of this kayak is about 400lbs. On the downside, it is not recommended for choppy water.
- Good holding capacity
- Easy to set up
- Inflates /Deflates fast
- Very lightweight
- Easy to carry
- Has durable construction
- Good for slow as well as fast-moving water
- The quality of oars could be better
- Super tough laminate PVC with polyester core: Light weight and highly resistant to damage from abrasion, impact and sunlight
- High pressure inflation provides extra rigidity and stability, with high pressure spring loaded valves for easy inflation and fast deflation
- Includes 2 removable skegs for deep and shallow water, 2 floor mounted footrests, 2 integrated recessed fishing rod holders, 2 adjustable bucket seats
- Removable and adjustable mounting bracket for additional accessories, such as GPS systems, fish finders, swivel fishing rod holders etc. Includes a carry bag and repair patch
- Storage space in bow and Stern with stainless steel d rings for tying down Dry bags and gear; Kayak total weight capacity: 400 pounds
- 3-ply super tough construction employs a high molecular PVC that is unaffected by gasoline, oil and salt water. It is highly resistant to damage from abrasion, impact and sunlight. It also permits more air pressure for rigidity.
- Includes 86 inch Aluminum Oars and High-output pump
The Driftsun Rover 220 kayak is an excellent kayak that is suitable for adventure trips. In fact, it is one of the favorite kayaks of adventure seekers!
It is perfect for two persons and also for whitewater padding. The body of this kayak is made from wear and tear-resistant 1000D layered PVC and secured by a high-pressure stitch base. All these features make it puncture-proof. Also, the Rover valves make it leak proof.
The Rover also makes their kayaks with a good nose and tracking support. This
inflatable kayak cuts through the water waves very nicely. Also, the removable fins keep it pointed in the rough waters. There is also a V-shaped hull that keeps the boat stable in the water.
The boat is 12.5 feet long which is perfect for two adults. Further, inflating it doesn’t take longer than 10 minutes with a double-action hand pump which comes included in the kit. The boat also features seven self-bailing drain valves which make it perfect for whitewater kayaking. You can also use it in the rough waters due to rapid releasing drains. This is a unique feature of this kayak.
- Highly durable and lightweight
- Comes with adjustable paddles
- Can be used in still as well as in fast-moving waters.
- Three persons may feel crowded due to less length.
- 2 PERSON KAYAK: The Driftsun Rover 220 tandem kayak features a front & rear rocker profile, so you can maneuver & navigate through calm or rough water with less tracking. The foldable kayak inflates fully in 9 mins & seats 2 adults (600lbs max)
- WHAT’S IN THE BAG: Rover 220 inflatable kayak, 2 adjustable EVA padded seats, 2 adjustable aluminum kayak paddles, double action inflation hand pump, removable tracking fin & spacious travel backpack for all included kayaking equipment
- ULTIMATE COMFORT: Constructed with reinforced double layered PVC, this enables the 2person kayak to handle obsticles in rough waterways without puncturing. The high-pressure dropstitch floor boosts stability & extremely sturdy
- ADVENTURE READY: Diftsun folding kayak will deliver unmatched stability in rough water compared to low-pressure foldable kayaks for adults. It can handle class III & IV rapids with speed & control. Features 8 self-bailing ports, ample tie-down points & front action camera mount
- SIT IN TANDEM KAYAK SPECS: Exterior 12.6’(L) x 38”(W) x 13”(H) / Weight: 28 Lbs. / Capacity: 600 Lbs. 2 Adults + child, gear or a furry friend / Inflation Pressure: 3 PSI (side tubes) & 6 PSI (floor)
Sevylor Big Basin is good for enjoying lale tours and slow-moving waters. The base of this kayak is made from heavy-duty tarpaulin which is made from PVC. Due to the high-quality material, it is safe from wear and tear and puncture. The inflatable kayak also features a number of air chambers for that extra support. These air chambers make sure the kayak doesn’t flip in the water and stay stable even when one chamber fails. It also features inbuilt front and rear splash guards that keep you safe from splashes. Another great part about this kayak, it is 35lbs and even after that, it can hold about 490lbs with ease. Further, you can use it on the last minute plans as deflating and inflating it is extremely simple due to the presence of double-threaded Boston valves.
On the flip side, it is only 12ft long, therefore, 3 paddlers may feel a bit cramped on the longer journeys. But the length is good for two persons for longer trips. Moreover, the 3ft base makes it great for the users to keep from taking a dip in the water. It is best for family paddling occasions.
- Excellent leakproof system.
- Easy to inflate and deflate
- Comes with splash guards
- Includes 1-year warranty
- may feel a bit crowded for 3 persons.
- Not recommended for fast waters.
- Heavy-duty PVC construction is rugged for lake use
- Tarpaulin bottom provides durable protection from punctures
- Multiple air chambers allow another chamber to stay inflated if one is punctured
- Boston Valve is double threaded for easy inflation/deflation
- Adjustable seats move to fit you; Carry handles make it easy to carry in and out of the water
- Spray covers block splashes to help keep you dry
- Fits three people
- NMMA certified to hold up to 490lbs.
- Inflated dimensions: 12 ft. 3 in. x 3 ft. 1 in.
Sea Eagle 330 is the favorite choice for whitewater paddling. This double inflatable kayak is best for overnight journeys. The kayak comes with an adequate cargo space that can be used to carry extra camping gear. It has a holding capacity of up to 500lbs. The best part about this kayak is, it weighs only 26lbs which makes it ultra-lightweight and easy to carry around. It packs into a high-quality drawstring bag that you can easily fit into your car.
Coming to the body of Sea Eagle 330, it’s made from highly durable and tear & wear resistant k 80 polykrylar material which makes it puncture resistant. Because of its stable bottom, beginners can use it safely.
It also features a double skeg which is very useful for tracking and also a self-bailing drainage valve which makes it good for rough waters. Moreover, it is highly cost-effective and good for newcomers.
- Free from punctures
- Super lightweight
- Stable bottom
- Comes with a 3-year warranty
- Doesn’t have any storage space and pockets
- 2 person/ 500-b capacity, weighs 26-lbs, Suitable for upto Class III whitewater
- Great package for two includes SE330 Sport Kayak, 2 AB30 paddles, 2 inflatable movable & removable SEC seats, foot pump, repair kit, and carry bag with convenient shoulder strap
- Lashed down inflatable spray skirts with storage underneath
- Open and close drain valve with 5 deluxe 1-way inflation and deflation valves
- 2 skegs on the bottom for better tracking & speed
Things To Consider When Buying An Inflatable Kayak
So when it comes to easy transporting, inflatable kayaks are great, especially if you are flying somewhere, as we did on our trip to Wyoming.
Overall, they are very stable when on the water as a result of their wider hull. This feeling of stability is a definite plus.
You are going to need a pump to inflate the kayak, but don’t worry, the fill pretty fast and it is still easier than loading and unloading from a rooftop rack.
From a cost standpoint, they tend to be less expensive than a traditional kayak. The comes in handy, especially if you might only be using it a few times per year. They are great on family vacations to the lake without costing an arm and a leg.
Like any boat or kayak, they can tip over or sink, so make sure you wear a person floatation device for safety.
If class 4 and class 5 rapids are what you are looking for, I wouldn’t suggest an inflatable kayak. Granted, most people wouldn’t suggest a barrel for going over Niagara Falls, but people have done it. Is just doesn’t mean that you should! Be wise and consider your intended use.
I have been in races before where speed and technical maneuvering ability are really important. When it comes to inflatable kayaks, they tend to be slower and don’t maneuver quite as well so take that into consideration. That being said, I doubt too many people are considering an inflatable for their next race anyway, so don’t let that deter you from general use. Most importantly, have fun; that’s what these outdoor adventures are meant for.
Choosing An Inflatable Kayak Video
Check out this informational video for a good overview of choosing an inflatable kayak.