Top 6 Rain Ponchos Reviewed
- 1 Top 6 Rain Ponchos Reviewed
- 1.1 Best Rain Poncho
- 1.2 Tips To Help You Chose The Best Rain Poncho
- 1.3 The Many Uses Of A Poncho
Growing up we had a camp located deep in the north woods of Maine where our family would go every summer. Often we would bask in the lovely sun, enjoying our days filled with swimming, fishing, hiking, and berry picking, and more outdoor adventures. But inevitably the cold rain would come, and you would be reaching for your rain poncho anytime you needed to go outside.
There was no indoor plumbing, which meant dreaded trips to the outhouse. Those trips were not a lot of fun in the wet weather. Having a great rain poncho was worth gold as far as I was concerned. This was especially true early in the morning with the chilly rain coming down just as you crawled out of bed.
Getting back to camp, still dry under the rain poncho was wonderful. You could take your poncho off, slide off your shoes, and head right back to bed for a little more sleep. As a kid at our camp, the smell of bacon being cooked on the wood stove was the greatest alarm clock in the world. Of course, feeding the flames required trips to the woodshed and again, if it was raining, you wanted to have your poncho on.
If you are going to be spending any amount of time outside, whether it’s hiking, backpacking, or camping, it’s a good idea to have a poncho with you. They are light and easy to pack away. A good poncho serves several purposes. Not only can they be used to keep you dry when the weather turns bad, but they can also double as a tarp or a small shelter. The best ones have metal grommets where you can attach paracord or ropes. A poncho can be used as a ground cover to set your gear on when things are dirty or wet. If you are camping and need to leave some of your gear outside, your poncho can be used to protect your things from the elements. These are just a few of the reasons that make them essential for your outdoor adventures.
If you are in a hurry, our pick for the best rain poncho is the SahpiRose Hooded Rain Poncho.
While the SahpiRose Hooded Poncho is the best poncho overall, here are a few more to consider for specialty purposes.
- Best Military Poncho: M-Tac Poncho Men’s Military
- Best XL Poncho: Galeton Repel Rainwear XL Poncho
- Best Hiking Poncho: Terra Hiker Waterproof Rain Poncho
- Best Designs Poncho: Anyoo Waterproof Rain Poncho
Best Rain Poncho
If you are looking for the best rain poncho, this product is well worth considering. There is a lot to love about this poncho, including the fact that it is incredibly lightweight. The shell is very basic, but it has the benefit of being light and comfortable, so you don’t feel like you’re being weighed down when shielding from the rain.
One of the things we love most about this waterproof jacket is the membrane, which is custom to the brand; Frogg Togg. It has been updated over the years, and it just keeps getting better and better. The membrane keeps the water out effectively while also feeling great against the skin.
There are two zippered hand pockets as well, so you have somewhere to keep your hands dry or to store a few items, and some loose change! The zipper itself is big and easy-to-use, yet there are not any vents or pit zips, so do keep this in mind.
Storage is a breeze with this product, which is what you always want when you are looking for the best poncho for your adventures. It can easily squish into its own pocket, so you can store it with ease.
A word of warning is that the fit is on the big-size, so you may want to consider ordering a size smaller if you’d prefer it to be a bit more snug.
Finally, there is a hood with this poncho, and there are two toggles so that you can make the hood tight around your head to provide you with some extra protection.
- Ultra-Lite2 Rain Poncho includes a packable, waterproof poncho
- Made with Frogg Toggs breathable, non-woven fabric that is waterproof, wind-resistant, and lightweight
- Poncho features an adjustable hood with cord locks and side snaps for extra protection
- Stuff sack included for easy toting
- Perfect for rain emergencies, sports sidelines or outdoor adventures
Another poncho that is worth adding to your shopping list is the Anyoo Waterproof Rain Poncho. This is a simple poncho that ticks all of the boxes. If you want something that has a neutral design and can be used again and again, you cannot go wrong with this option.
There are a lot of different things that we love about this Anyoo poncho. Firstly, you have the option of choosing from a number of different styles and colors, so you should have no trouble finding the waterproof poncho for you.
Portability is really one of the main selling points when it comes to this poncho. It is very lightweight in design, which means the poncho can be carried around with ease. When you’re out and about, the last thing you want is to lug a big jacket with you, so this really does make a massive difference.
One thing that shocked us, and we are talking about the good kind of shock here, is the fabric! The fabric was much better quality than we were anticipating when looking at the price, so the value is exceptional. The material is thick and ht poncho has been made really well. We never got wet while wearing it, which is always the deciding factor when determining whether or not a poncho is worth the money!
- ✅Keep You Dry: This is a upgraded version of Anyoo rain poncho. This new poncho features a soft plastic cap-design part on the hood to further protects your face from rains. There are snap closures on front placket neck opening, suitable for all head size. Weighs only 12 oz, the poncho is so ultralight that can be stuffed into your backpack. It is also easy to be compressed into its storage bag to a size: 7" x 5 1/2".
- ✅Waterproof Material: Made of 190T high density Polyester fabric +PVC coating, this rain poncho is eco-friendly , extremely water resistant, quick drying with 3000 mm waterproof index. Furthermore, each poncho is a piece of complete cloth which sewn together with the hood part to prevent leaking.
- ✅Sufficient Space: For a 6ft adult without a pack, from head it reaches nearly to calves in the back; with a 60L backpack it was around knees in the back as well as front. It protects you well from rains while not restricting your movement. It has 6snap buttons,3 on each side to adjust the poncho freely and make it closer to your body, the ultimate protection against bad weather.
- ✅Durable & Reusable: Made from high quality polyester fabric, with elastic nylon loops, the rain poncho is durable as a emergency shelter. The ripstop fabric is to guarantee the security of your clothes and backpack from bushes when hunting or hiking. The 2 drawstrings at 2 sides of the hood can make the raincoat stay fixed on the head.
- ✅Multi-use & Good Gift Idea: The poncho can be used to cover your bag at camping, as a shelter for your hammock, a picnic blanket. Useful for hiking, camping, hunting, fishing and other outdoor activities. Perfect gift for your friends who are outdoorsmen.
Aside from the ponchos that have been mentioned so far, this offering from Repel Rainwear is another product well worth a mention. With a name such as Repel Rainwear, this product sets the bar high, and we were pleased to see that it definitely delivered.
You get more coverage than you would with a standard poncho, as the length is a lot longer with this product, so it is definitely an option worth considering if you want to make sure that your legs have as much coverage as possible.
One of the main benefits associated with this poncho is just how lightweight it is. It weighs only 1.5 pounds, which also means that it weighs half the weight of PVC. You don’t even feel like you’re wearing an extra layer, and this is great for comfort and mobility purposes.
Aside from this, the poncho has an attached hood that has a drawstring, so you can ensure it is nice and snug to your head, keeping your hair dry! It also fits into a backpack with ease and is highly portable, so it ticks all of the boxes when you are looking for a good quality and convenient poncho that won’t let you down.
- 100% EVA construction provides full waterproof protection with lightweight durability
- Attached hood with drawstring and side plastic snaps allow for better fit and protection
- Generous 59” X 57” dimensions and oversized head opening make product ideal for people 5’10” or taller or who wear Men’s 2XL or larger
- Generous sizing is perfect for wearing over a backpack without sacrificing coverage
This rain poncho has been specifically designed for those with activity in mind. If you consider yourself an adventure seeker or a bit of a daredevil, this poncho is not going to let you down.
It is also a great option if you are someone who likes to ensure that they still look good while they are camping or climbing a mountain. This is because you have a massive 45 different patterns and color options to choose from! With so many different styles, there is no way you won’t be able to find a poncho that appeals to your taste.
The poncho is also breathable, quick-drying, and very lightweight too, as it is made from 100 percent polyester. The heat-sealed seams and the choice of material combine together to make this poncho effective in terms of water resistance. We have not got wet while wearing this yet, which is great news!
One thing that makes this poncho different from others on the market is the full zipper closure. Unlike other ponchos where the zipper is the weak point, the zipper on this poncho is waterproof as well, so it’s not going to cause any issues!
The poncho comes with a carrying case, which will match the color you have chosen. You can easily carry this case; it is so compact that it could go inside of your purse! This makes it an excellent choice when you need something for emergencies, such as some sudden rain!
- Material: high quality polyester fabric, not plastic! Forget about the cheap plastic-like fabric. It is Lightweight / Eco-friendly / Durable / Breathable
- Features: Portable & Compact with a matched pouch / Front pocket with zipper for best placement of wallets and cellphones / Pullover with buttons / Hooded / Waterproof / Elastic drawstring / Heat-sealed seams
- Occasion: Long body / Big hooded cap / Foldable, Suitable to Men & Women for daily wearing / walking / camping / hiking / treking / travel / water park activities
- Various Styles: The 3 in 1 style can be used as canopy and picnic mat / The button style is with binded seam, softer and lighter fabric / Zipper style is more fashionable
- Size: Full length stylish hooded long raincoat with one size fit US S to XL;It is big enough to wear with a backpack. Please refer the size detail information before purchase.
Another waterproof rain poncho that we would never hesitate to recommend is this offering from Terra. It is a 3-in-1 rain poncho, which has been built with a number of outdoor activities in mind, ranging from fishing to mountaineering.
You can use this poncho to shield you from any heavy rain. However, it can also be used as a tent-like shelter when urgently required. The third use of this poncho is as a sunshade or damp-proof mat. As you can see, all options are covered when it comes to this product, and so you really do get exceptional value for money when you decide to go down this route.
This poncho is also very durable, meaning it can tackle the worse that the wild has to offer. It has been made from 210T high-density polyester, with the fabric also being seam-sealed and PU3000m waterproof, so you’re not at risk of getting soaked while you are outside.
As is the case with a lot of the ponchos on the market, this is a big poncho, which is especially roomy. Again, you could decide to go for a size down, yet many people prefer to stick true to size because it means that they can fit their backpack underneath the poncho as well.
Finally, although this is a robust and durable poncho, it is not going to weigh you down. It is very lightweight and highly portable too, so you can carry it around with you with ease.
- 3-IN-1 RAINCOAT: Multi-use poncho is specially designed for outdoor activities; can be used as a mountaineering raincoat, or a mat for hiking, picnics, fishing and more
- STRENGTHENED WATERPROOF FUNCTION: Made from 210T high density polyester fabric that's PU3000MM waterproof; seam-sealed and fully waterproof
- EASY AND CONVENIENT: Roomy back is able to accommodate a large capacity backpack of up to 60 L; cuffs with Velcro on both sides ensure maximum comfort; cap margin with elastic rope for effective protection
- PORTABLE AND COMPACT: Can be folded into a compact size of 8.66 x 3 x 2 in (22 x 7.5 x 5 cm) and weighs only 0.68 lb (310 g) for great portability
- 3- LAYER THICKENING: Thickened eyelets create enhanced durability; eyelets on the hem are for fastening to tent stakes; conveniently pop up the poncho to use it as a mat or sunshade (stakes not included)
Last but not least, we have the M-Tac Rain Poncho. We believe this is the best military poncho so we’re ending on a good note here. There are a lot of great qualities associated with this military waterproof poncho. Not only will it insulate you from the nasty weather, but it is multi-functional and sturdy. It is also lightweight, and it can be packed down into a compact bundle for ultimate convenience.
This poncho has been designed with the needs of servicemen in mind. Your outdoor activities will certainly be covered with this option. From backpacking and fishing to hiking and camping, there are no adventures or activities that are going to be too difficult for this product to keep you dry.
The quality of this rain poncho in terms of material and construction is what really stands out for us. Ripstop nylon fabric has been used, which makes it an excellent option for longevity. This material is recommended for military uniforms and other types of heavy-duty apparel. Therefore, you can be confident of longevity and performance when it comes to this poncho.
Storage and portability are additional benefits of the M-Tac as it comes with a nylon carry bag. The multi-use element of this rain poncho is enhanced thanks to the cuff buttons, hoodie, metal grommets, and drawcords. Not only can it be used as a poncho but also as a shelter or ground tarp! All that being said, it is not hard to see why we recommend this rain poncho.
- Multifunctional rain gear - use it as rain poncho, a shelter tent, a tarp, blanket or sleeping bag
- Size 83 x 57 inches - big enough to cover a full size backpack
- Made of 100% Nylon Rip-stop - extremely durable breathable and wear-resistant fabric
- Metal grommets with cord to use as shelter | Cuff buttons | Volume regulated with a cord | Regulated Hood
- Great piece of military surplus to go hiking camping backpacking hunting or fishing
Tips To Help You Chose The Best Rain Poncho
- Leave Room To Move: Although you don’t want to have a poncho so big that it flops all over the place, you should leave some extra room. This helps to accommodate additional layers of clothes under your poncho. Also if you plan to use your poncho while you are hiking, you want to make sure there is enough room to cover your backpack. You also want enough room for hiking and climbing without the poncho feeling tight.
- Fashion and Function: You should consider whether or not fashion and design make a difference or not when wearing your poncho. If you are an old Army guy like me, the color and design probably don’t matter as much, but if you are like my daughter, you want to dry and pretty when wearing your poncho. Some of the options come with fashionable designs beyond the basic black, green, and cammo.
- Used For Survival: If you plan to use the poncho for more than just rain gear, you may want to go with one of the more rugged military style ponchos that easily transform into shelter or a tarp.
- Carry Bag For Packing Away: It’s nice to have a carry bag for your poncho, especially when you are hiking. While it is not a necessity, I appreciate being able to fold my poncho and keep it in a compact carrying bag.
- Hood Design: Some ponchos have a slight visor on the hood which gives you a little extra clearance and protection from the rain. Also be sure to check the drawstring design to make sure you can cinch it tight when needed for maximum protection from the rain.
The Many Uses Of A Poncho
While most of us think of a poncho as only being used for protection from the rain, the reality is, it can serve many functions during your outdoor adventures. Don’t think of it as just rain gear. Let’s take a look at the many uses of a poncho!