Duggan Park was awarded federal aid in order to create more recreational opportunities for the community.
It is expected to help strengthen communities, preserve the state’s history, and protect the national endowment of lands and waters.
The $750,000 of federal aid for the 11 acres of conservation land will help develop the perimeter loop trail, fitness course, community garden, two basketball courts, picnic tables, baseball/softball field, a natural grass athletic field with regulation track for multiple sports and outdoor track opportunities, landscaping and tree plantings.
Funding for Duggan Park include the following:
- NFL Grassroots Grant: $250,000 – secured
- City of Springfield: $250,000 – secured
- Community Development Block Grant – $250,000 – secured
- Land & Water Conservation Fund Grant – $750,000 – secured
- Community Preservation Act – $1,000,000 ($250,000/year) – pending over 4 years