Best Trolling Motor Battery for Your Next Boating Trip
- 1 Best Trolling Motor Battery for Your Next Boating Trip
- 1.1 Trolling Motor Battery Summary Table
- 1.2 Best Trolling Motor Battery
- 1.2.1 1.UNIVERSAL POWER GROUP 12V 100AH BATTERY WITH SOLAR WIND, AGM DEEP CYCLE 12V 24V 48V
- 1.2.2 2.VMAX MR137-120 BATTERY, AGM MARINE AGM BATTERY, 120AH 12 VOLTS BATTERY
- 1.2.3 3. INTERSTATE BATTERY 35AH 12 VOLTS, SEALED LEAD ACID (SLA) AGM DEEP CYCLE BATTERY
- 1.2.4 4.OPTIMA BATTERY 8016-103 D34M, DEEP CYCLE AND BLUETOP BEGINING, MARINE BATTERY
- 1.2.5 5.MIGHTY MAX BATTERY 100 AH 12VOLTS BATTERY FOR SOLAR WIND DEEP CYCLE BATTERY
- 1.2.6 6.RENOGY 100AH 12 VOLTS REFILLABLE DEEP CYCLE BATTERY, PURE GEL BATTERY
- 1.2.7 7. WINDYNATION 12 VOLT 100AH, AGM DEEP CYCLE LEAD ACID SEALED BATTERY
- 1.3 Things To Consider When Purchasing A Trolling Motor Battery
- 1.4 Trolling Motor Battery Maintenance
- 1.5 Trolling Motor Battery Summary
When you are ready to hit the water and get some fishing in, more than likely you are going to have a trolling motor to help get you exactly where you want to be. Most trolling motors are powered using batteries. They need to have plenty of power for you to enjoy a long day of adventure. You certainly don’t want your outdoor adventures cut short because of a dead battery.
Battery technology has come a long way over the years, and the new series of AMG trolling motor batteries are excellent. Trolling motor batteries are designed to deliver a steady and slow discharge of power. The AGM deep cycle design does just that, making for a long-running, gradual discharge. They are also fully sealed, which makes it great for ordering online, without safety concerns.
Below is a list of the top choices when it comes to getting the best trolling motor battery.
Our choice for the best trolling motor battery is the VMAX MR137-120 BATTERY, AGM MARINE AGM BATTERY
Trolling Motor Battery Summary Table
Best Trolling Motor Battery
If you are searching for the best trolling motor battery, then how about a battery that is designed and manufactured using Absorbent glass mat technology? Yes, Universal Power battery is a high-quality battery made using AGM technology which makes charging a faster process. Moreover, you do not need to maintain it regularly, you can use the battery with lead-acid too.
The Universal Power Group 12V 100AH battery is a deep cycle battery with a rating of 100AH. The reserve capacity of the battery is much higher than any other batteries, it discharges less than three percent a month. It comes up with a one year warranty so you can replace or change it anytime if the battery has any issues.
The battery life of Universal batteries is praiseworthy. It lasts for so long without charging. So, if you’re looking for a reliable battery, then this battery is surely a great buy. This battery is manufactured using AGM technology which makes it the best.
- UPG #45978 UB121000 12V 100Ah
- Dimensions: 12.17 inches x 6.61 inches x 9.16 inches. Weight: 63.93 Lbs
- SLA/AGM maintenance free, spill proof battery
- Rechargeable battery that can be mounted in any position, resists shocks and vibration
- 1 Year Warranty
Here comes the most reliable Group 32 designed battery. The battery is specifically manufactured for deep cycle use. VMAX MR137-120 AGM delivers the best battery performance and comes with long-lasting battery life. The battery charges quickly.
The design of this battery is such that it can be mounted conveniently into any kind of boat. The battery is manufactured using AGM technology hence it is easy to maintain and carry. Most importantly, it has a long-lasting battery life and recharges quickly. It is convenient to carry as well as mount. It can be used for Newport vessels, Sevylor, Cobra and other trolling motors.
This battery gives great, long-lasting performance you will not be disappointed in. After reviewing, the VMAX received our vote as the best trolling motor battery.
- 13"*6.8"*8.8h Heavy Duty 12V AGM DEEP CYCLE BATTERY with Float Service Life span of 8 to 10 years.
- Electrolyte Suspension system VMAX tanks utilize an electrolyte suspension system consisting AGM (Absorbed Glass Matt) of a high porosity that totally absorb and contain the electrolyte. No silica gels or any other contaminants are used.
- Heavy Duty Grids: VMAX heavy duty lead tin alloys provide an extra margin of performance and service life in either float or cyclic applications, even after repeated over discharges.
- Maintenance Free Operation: There is no need to check specific gravity of the electrolyte or add water to VMAX tanks during float service life. In fact, there is no provision for this type of maintenance. Battery Cables: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NLJBT65?ref=myi_title_dp
- RECOMMENDED CHARGER: VMAX BC1215 12V 15Amp 7-Stage "Smart" Charger/Maintainer (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IZV91Q0)
If you are looking for a deep cycle battery that can be used for small trolling motors, then Interstate Batteries 12V 35AH is the a choice. It is light in weight, easy to carry, and small in size. The battery weighs about 23 pounds and its height is approximately 7.6 inches long, this makes it one of the smallest and convenient batteries of its type available in the market.
Along with this, it is manufactured using AGM technology because of which it can be charged super quick and easy. It is completely sealed and safe to use. It comes with high reserve capacity. To protect the battery it comes covered with a thick plastic case. This battery is known for its consistent and brilliant performance. Also, you don’t need to spend your time maintaining. This is a popular choice for smaller, lightweight batteries that still gives a great performance. Rember this battery is not suitable for powering a large trolling motor.
- Interstate Batteries Deep-Cycle mobility product, our DCM0035 Replacement battery fits many products: Our Compatibility Guide is located under Product Guides & Documents. Also Fits: Jazzy Chairs, Leisure lift, Pride Mobility Scooters, Ranger All Season, Kubota mowers, Invacare battery, Hoveround MPV5, MPV4, MPV3, MPV2, MPV1, & other Hoveround products batteries, Bruno wheelchairs. This product is not a replacement for golf cart batteries
- Rechargeable, Maintenance-free and spill proof because of the AGM & VRLA (valve regulated) technology that eliminates spills and overpressure.
- Professional-grade quality product developed specifically for wheelchairs and scooters. Long life for deep discharge usage: the best performer for heavy demand mobility / wheelchairs. 12volt 35 ah sealed lead acid battery. Dimensions: 7.68 inches (L) x 5.16 inches (W) x 6.42 inches (H) Terminal: INSERT W/BOLT REPLACES FLAG TY
- 12volt 35 ah sealed lead acid battery. Dimensions: 7.68 inches (L) x 5.16 inches (W) x 6.42 inches (H) Terminal: INSERT W/BOLT REPLACES FLAG TY
- Quality product - our rigorous testing 7 point quality protocol - ensures we exceed industry standards and back our products with an unmatched 1 year no-hassle warranty. The DCM0035 is designed for the constant deep discharges in a mobility application. The lead plates are thicker internally and more robust allowing for more deep cycles.
Are you looking for a battery that can be used for both, beginning and deep cycling? If so, then the Optima Batteries 8016- 103 D34M BlueTop is an excellent choice. It is one of the best, flexible and adaptable batteries available in the market. You can rely upon the optima battery with its reserve capacity of 120 minutes and 750 Cold Cranking Amps. You will appreciate the brilliant performance and long battery life.
Moreover, this battery is a good starter battery for RVs, equipment, and boats, it is rated 750 CCA. The most important thing about this battery is that it has a reserve capacity of 120 minutes which makes it easy for you to go on using it without having to worry about its discharge. The battery has no problem with cold weather. The quality of the exterior design stands up well to vibration.
The Optima batteries 8016-103 D34M is a light-weight and compact battery. You can easily carry it and can mount it in your boat. The Optima 8016-103 D34M comes with a two-year warranty.
The Optima battery is a perfect choice for you as it offers dual usage and it is reliable. We appreciate the two-year warranty as well.
- 12-Volt, 750 Cold Cranking Amps, Size: 10 inches x 6 7/8 inches x 7 13/16 inches tall, Weight: 43.5 pounds, Dual SAE & 5/16 inches Stainless Steel Stud Posts. 55 Ah C20 capacity
- Optimal starting power even in bad weather
- Mountable in virtually any position. Works well as a boat battery or RV battery
- Fifteen times more resistant to vibration for durability
- Reserve capacity of 120 minutes for constant performance
- Cranking Amps - 870 Ampere / Marine Cranking Amps - 870 ampere
The Mighty Max Battery is also made using AGM technology, which helps to recharge quickly and safely. It is a very reliable battery. Like other AGM batteries, it doesn’t require much for maintenance. The Mighty Max battery is a small battery and weighs about 24 pounds. The battery offers a one year warranty, which is a little lower than we like to see. That being said, the chances of needing to use the warranty is pretty low.
- ML100-12 SLA is a 12V 100AH group 30H Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) rechargeable maintenance free battery - UL Certified
- Dimensions: 12.09 inches x 6.65 inches x 8.48 inches. Listing is for the Battery and Screws only. No wire harness or mounting accessories included.
- SLA / AGM spill proof battery has a characteristic of high discharge rate, wide operating temperatures, long service life and deep discharge recover.
- Rechargeable battery that can be mounted in any position, resists shocks and vibration. Long lasting high performance in high and low temperatures.
- Backed by a 30 day refund policy and full 1 year warranty.
Renogy 12V 100Ah is an exceptionally solid battery. It makes use of the gel battery technology which is quite similar to the AGM technology in performance as well as durability. It offers a charge for small and large motors both. Renogy is preferred by most of the people to use on large boats, but because of its quality, it can also be used for small boats as well.
Moreover, Renogy 12V 100Ah is a deep cycle battery that offers a nice reserve capacity of charge. You can easily use it for long durations without having to worry about discharge. This battery is heavy in comparison to some of the other batteries.
- Maintenance Free: Manufactured with gel suspended electrolyte and advanced valve regulated technology, Renogy Deep Cycle GEL Batteries save you from acid leakage and frequent maintenance
- Extended Service Life: Corrosion resistant grids enable a design life of up to 12 years in standby applications and more than 750 charge/discharge cycles at 50% DOD in cyclic applications
- Long Shelf Life: Made of high purity materials, Renogy Deep Cycle GEL Batteries reduce the monthly self-discharge rate below 3% at 77℉ (25℃), which is 5 times lower than their flooded counterparts
- Deep Discharge Recovery: Proprietary plate composition and patented gel electrolyte ensures excellent recovery capability after excessive deep discharge
- High Security: Renogy batteries are equipped with explosion-proof safety valves to prevent production of redundant gas. And the construction is designed to prevent setting fire to the internal battery in case sparkles approach.
Here comes the versatile, flexible, and one of the best trolling motor battery i.e., WindyNation 100 amp-Hour 100AH 12Volt AGM battery. It is a perfect battery for deep cycling purposes. Moreover, the battery is totally maintenance-free and it is sealed to avoid unnecessary pilferage of the lead-acid.
The WindyNation discharges slowly as it is made using 99.9% pure leads. Along with this, it is built using AGM technology. The AGM technology the battery runs for a long period of time without having to maintain it much. Besides, the battery is most suited for all the on the grid, off-grid, and other power suppliers. It can be the perfect battery for you to use. It is comparatively more expensive than some of the other batteries, but we feel this is due to the quality and value of the battery.
- WindyNation 100 amp-hour, 12 Volt heavy duty deep cycle AGM sealed lead acid batteries with heavy duty plates are designed for deep, repetitive discharges.
- Ideal for all types of off-grid power: Solar Systems, RV's, UPS, Off shore Marine power, Telecommunications, Portable tools, etc.
- 99.995% pure virgin lead allows for an extremely low discharge rate and maximum power storage (lower quality batteries often use recycled lead). Float life is 10 to 12 years at 25 degrees Celsius
- Technical and physical specifications can be viewed in the photo gallery (image #2)
- 100 Amp-Hours at the 10 hour rating. 110 Amp-Hours at the 20 hour rating! 1 year warranty.
Things To Consider When Purchasing A Trolling Motor Battery
Here are a few things to consider when you are looking to purchase your next battery for a trolling motor.
1. What Are My Battery Type Choices?
For a long time wet cell lead-acid batteries were the standard. These batteries use liquid electrolytes, typically in the form of water, to flood the lead plates. While all batteries tend to weigh a lot, these tend to be heavier than AGM. Understand, more maintenance is required with this type of battery. The liquid that is used to flood the lead plates needs to have the proper level. Corrosion is another issue that needs to be addressed. In comparison, AGM deep cycle batteries are completely sealed and do not require fluid maintenance in the same way a wet cell lead-acid battery does. An AGM battery typically has longer life as well, so you will go longer before needing to replace the battery.
2. What Does The Warranty Look Like?
Manufacturers with a good product are typically willing to warranty their batteries. It means they believe in the quality of their product and are willing to back the product financially if it does not meet the standards you expect. Be cautious of any battery that does not come with one. Warranties can be as short as 3 months and as long as a life-time warranty.
3. What Group Size Battery Do You Need?
Like many things in life, there is a balance between cost and quality. What is right for one person is not necessarily right for another person. When it comes to batteries you will typically find a direct correlation between the run time and the cost associated with the trolling motor battery. The longer the run time, the more expensive it is going to be. A good rule of thumb is the higher the amperage rating, the longer the run time, assuming everything else is equal.
|Run time Quality||Battery Voltage||Battery Group Size||Amperage Hour Rating|
|Decent Quality||12 volts||24||70 – 85|
|Better Quality||12 volts||27||85 – 110|
|Best Quality||12 volts||31||95 – 125|
4. You Are Going To Need A Charger As Well
Battery chargers are used to maintain your trolling motor batteries between uses. You can use a portable one or look at getting an onboard battery charger for the greatest convenience. Make sure you get one that is compatible with your type of battery. This will help you get the best performance and maximize the life of the battery.
5. The Battery Type Affects The Weight
One of the great things about the Absorbed Glass Mat technology, besides the superior power, is the reduced weight along with better reliability.
6. Deep Cycle
A deep cycle marine battery will give you sustained power until it gets down below 80% discharge. They are designed for longer power delivery before requiring a recharge, which is perfect for trolling. Look for a flooded deep cycle that is sealed and does not require fluid maintenance.
7. Determining How Long It Will Run
Marine batteries are commonly rated using Amp Hour or Ah. It essentially tells you how long a battery will maintain a constant output. Most batteries will come with this rating, but if it doesn’t, you calculate it with the following:
Divide the RC (reserve capacity) by 2.4 to get the estimated amp hour rating. Say for example a battery has a 1600 RC, you would divide 1600 by 2.4, or 1600/2.4 = 66.6Ah
The amperage draw is how much electricity the motor will pull from the battery. The max speed and thrust of the motor determine the amount of energy drawn. a simple example is 50Ah (amps per hour / 52 amps drawn = .96 hours of run-time on your battery.
Trolling Motor Battery Maintenance
Once you have a trolling motor battery, you want to keep it in good working order. AGM Batteries require considerably less maintenance, but there are a few things you need to do. Here is a video on trolling motor battery maintenance and the things you can do to extend the life of your battery and keep it working well for hours of enjoyment on the water.