The Best Backpacking Thermometer for 2023
Whenever looking for a backpacking thermometer you want to find the best product to meet your specific needs. As you look at the different thermometers you’ll see different quality and prices, primarily based on the different features and functions.
You definitely want to get the best bang for your buck when it comes to your equipment, but it’s also important to make sure that you get gear that is going to work for you. This is especially important when you are going backpacking or hiking.
Whether you’re going backpacking, fishing, or camping it’s always a good idea to bring a decent thermometer with you. Fortunately, they don’t take up a lot of space, and knowing the temperature and weather conditions can be lifesaving for you. More advanced mulit-function thermometer devices do a great job of predicting storms, helping you to measure the wind speed. The more advanced devices will also monitor the atmospheric pressure and act as a barometer. This becomes especially important when you hiking in higher elevation or climbing on a trail above the tree line.
**Disclosure: America’s State Parks is user-supported. We participate in programs where if you purchase an item through one of our links we may receive a small payment.
If you are hiking in the cover of trees, you don’t notice the strength of the wind or the effects of the wind chill. Without the cover of the trees, knowing how strong the wind is, and how cold the wind chill makes the temperature feel while carrying a pack across the rocks is important. We take a look at the top five backpacking thermometers to help you choose the one that fits your backpacking needs.
Backpacking Thermometer Comparison Table
You can see our comparison table of the top 5 backpacking thermometers. Our list includes two basic thermometers and three multifunction digital units with many advanced features beyond giving you just the temperature. You will see options for old school simple design thermometers with a single line marking the temperature and high-end digital units with many features including backlit lcd screens.
Best Backpacking Thermometer: BTMETER Aneometer BT-100
The multi-function thermometer has everything you need in a backpacking unit. This thermometer is small enough to stow away easily enough in your backpack while giving you important information like temperature and wind chill factor.
The backlit LCD screen is easy to read and the rubberized buttons are easy to use. See our full review below.
The Top 5 Backpacking Thermometers
1. Sun Company Original Zip-o-gage – Zipper-Pull Thermometer
We start our review of the best backpacking thermometers with and old school favorite. We love the simple design of the zip-o-gate thermometer. As the name suggests, it is designed to be attached to the zipper of your jacket or parka. It has a nice temperature scale for both Celsius and Fahrenheit on the front, while the back has an air temperature wind chill factor table. One disadvantage is that you have to already know the approximate wind speed to calculate the wind chill. Wind chill is why the temperature does not always feel like the temperature reading.
The thermometer is cushion mounted which helps make it durable and impact resistant. It attaches using a nickle-plated split ring like what you see on your typical key ring. This device has been around since 1972 and reminds me of the plaid pants era when my mother used to dress me in some interesting clothes. We also like the idea that the product is designed and final assembled in the United States. The production would be considered small batch manufacturing. We like this being close to home in Denver Colorado.
The pros are that it is simple and intelligent. The con is the limit to temperature alone and needing to to know the wind speed to calculate the wind chill. For a minimalist appoach and something super light weight, this is a great choice.
- An American Classic - Since 1971, Zip-o-gage has been the most trusted personal zipperpull thermometer for the outdoors. A great addition to your key chain and can also serve as an awesome gift!
- Cushion-Mounted Thermometer - Our accurate thermometer reads down to a chilly -20° Fahrenheit or -30° Celsius. It's lightweight and small enough to take anywhere!
- Wind Chill Chart - Included on the back is a small wind chill chart that let's you calculate the "feels like" temperature. One of the essential tools for cold weather environments.
- Handy Keyring- Attach to your coat, pack, zipper, or anything else you can think of. The Zip-o-gage is the perfect addition to your camping, hiking, survival, and travel gear.
- An Outdoor Essential - Zip-o-gage is a must-have accessory for camping, hiking, backpacking, skiing, or travel. Great for an emergency, or just for every day carry (EDC).
2. HOLDPEAK 866B Digital Anemometer Handheld Wind Speed Meter for Measuring Wind Speed, Temperature and Wind Chill
The device is compact enough to fit easily in your pack. One disadvantage is the screen is slightly smaller than some of the other units in our review. Overall this is a solid unit and well worth considering for your next trip. The LCD screen is backlit which is really helpful to see the readings.
- 🎣【STEADY WIND SPEED MEASUREMENT & HIGH ACCURACY】Wind Speed Range: 0.3-30m/s(MAX up to 69mph) and Accuracy of Wind Speed: ±5% dgts
- ⛳【ESSENTIALS FOR BAD WEATHER】You will know the hurricane trend before going out. HOLDPEAK anemometer provides fast measurement for analysis of critical environment conditions.
- 🎣【MULTIFUNCTIONAL ANEMOMETER YOU WILL NEED】Wind Speed, temperature and wind chill in one LCD display. Digital Anemometer Handheld measure wind speed in 5 units: m/s, km/h, ft/min, knots, mph.
- ⛳【MORE EXTRA SPECIFICATIONS THAN OTHERS WIND SPEED METER】Through the built-in temperature regulator to adjust C/F temperature. Record and recall Max/Min/Average/Current function. Low battery indication. Screw hole in the button can be connected a lanyard.
- 🎣【REASSURING AFTER-SALES SERVICE】Ship from US warehouse.We have perfect quality warranty. If the meter what you received have any quality issues, please contact our After-sales personnel in time and we will serve you in good faith.
3. SUNDERPOWER 8 in 1 Digital Multifunction LCD Compass Altimeter Barometer Thermometer
Another nice feature is the digital compass to help give you your bearings on the direction you are traveling. Especially helpful when it is overcast or raining and you can’t see the sun. It also had the date and time along with a calendar. We like the rubberized, larger buttons on this unit.
The one disadvantage for this device is not having the wind speed and wind chill information. If that is functionality you don’t need, then this would be a great choice.
- 8 in 1 Function: Digital altimeter, with digital barometer, digital compass, weather forecast, time, calendar, thermometer, and backlight
- The device is based on the technology of electronic bearing sensor and barometric sensor
- The digital altimeter is designed for outdoor use, the detachable string makes the digital compass a perfect hand-carry device for various outdoor activates it will give you backlight when you press any button in any time
- Altimeter: -700 to 9000m / -2300 to 29500ft.History Altitude record: 256pcs records.Compass: show bearing in degrees and cardinal point
- Thermometer: In Degree Celsius / Degree Fahrenheit Format. Clock: In 12 hours or 24 Hours format. Calendar. Backlight
4. BTMETER Digital Anemometer Handheld BT-100 Wind Speed Meter Gauge, Accurately Measure Wind Temperature Speed
The wind temperature range in very wide and should give you everything you need. The range is -10 degrees Celsius to 45 degrees Celsius. Depending on the specific model you decide to get, it will also come with a blue tooth app, and a sensor for barometric pressure and altitude. Another advantage of the BTMeter BT-100 is the easy to use button interface and the LCD screen. The read out is nice on the large LCD, making it easy to get the readings you need. The LCD screen is also backlit to help in low light situations. The one disadvantage compared to the simple thermometers is the size. While still small enough to easily put in your backpack, the unit weighs 12.8. If every ounce matters to you, the weight may be a factor. Our personal opinion is that the additional weight is well worth the trade off for all the BTMETER BT-100 provides.
- 【Multifunction Pro Anemometer】Wind Speed, Wind Temperature, Wind Chill, Low battery indicator on bright backlit LCD screen. BT-100 is a portable wind speed guages can accurately measure air speed in 5 units: m/s, km/h, ft/min, knots, mph. Wind Temp in ℃/℉(Degree Celsius/Fahrenheit)
- 【Accurate Wind Meter】Wind Speed Meter for measuring wind speed range 0.67~67.1 mph(+/- 5% of readings), Wind temperature -10~45℃,14℉-113℉(+/-2℃,35.6℉); Resolution 0.1m/s; 0.2℃. 2 temp sensors and 8 vanes makes the meter is very sensitive to measure very low air flows to help you with HVAC installation, CFM calculation, Duct vents.
- 【Tripod Hole for Mounting】There’s a metal threaded hole on the bottom of the digital anemometer, so you can fix it on a tripod for continuous wind guages. To set your hands free when you fly drones, rc planes, wings, helicopters and quads, long distance shooting.
- 【Anemometer Case Included】It's a light weight, pocket size airspeed Meter, portable for you and your family to measure outside for outdoor activities, such as: shooting,Boat Sailing, Kite flying, Climbing, Drone driving etc.
- 【Easy to Use 】Manual / Auto Power OFF optional, Back Light Screen to let you see clear even in dark. 2x1.5V AAA batteries included to get you started when you receive the wind tester. Add to Cart, Buy it, Use it, for any quality problems, we’ll replace you.
5. Sun Company TempaComp – Ball Compass and Thermometer Carabiner
We like the low tech aspect of this thermometer. When you are in the back country backpacking, it just simply works. Another great feature is the carabiner clip making it easy to attach to your pack or your jacket using the split ring keychain design. One disadvantage is the lack of windchill and windspeed information. If those are not requirements, we highly suggest a thermometer like this. Our last suggestion is to carry this with you as a backup, even if you do have have one of the more advanced digital thermometers.
- Large Ball Compass - Easy to read ball compass shows two readings. Look directly down on the top (smaller card) of compass to view general orientation cardinal points. Hold compass up to eye level and view larger side card for "direction-of-travel" compass.
- Easy-to-Read Thermometer - Cushion-mounted thermometer provides an "at-a-glance" temperature. Thermometer reads down to a chilly -20°F or -30°C. Perfect for outdoors, camping, backpacking, or hunting.
- Handy Carabiner Clip - Carabiner allows you to clip TempaComp onto any gear of your choice. From hiking and camping gear to backpacking and climbing, the TempaComp is the perfect accessory for your adventure. Just clip and go!
- Split Ring Included - TempaComp comes with a split ring so you can attach to your zipper or keychain. One of the essential EDC survival accessories for outdoorsmen/women, hunters, or boy scouts.
- Note: DO NOT USE THE SIDE CARD FOR GENERAL ORIENTATION PURPOSES. DOING SO WILL CAUSE READINGS TO BE OFF BY 180°
Bonus Suggestion – HAPPEEY Digital Anemometer, Wind Speed Meter, Air Flow Velocity Temperature Measuring Wind Chill with Thermometer
While the HAPPEEY Digital Anemometer didn’t make our official review, we had to include this unit as a bonus suggestion. It is another solid choice for a multi function thermometer for backpacking. Check the specs below, and be HAPPEEY as you hike.
How Windspeed Affects Temperature
So how does windspeed influence temperature beyond what a thermometer measures? Check out our video below.