7 Excellent Family Tents For Camping
- 1 7 Excellent Family Tents For Camping
- 1.1 Best Family Tent Overall
- 1.2 The Best Family Tents Reviewed
- 1.3 7 Best Family Tents Reviewed
- 1.3.1 1. COLEMAN SUNDOME TENT 6 PERSON FAMILY TENT
- 1.3.2 2. COLEMAN CABIN TENT WITH INSTANT SETUP | CABIN TENT FOR CAMPING SETS UP IN 60 SECONDS
- 1.3.3 3. HIKERGARDEN TENT 8-PERSON-CAMPING-TENTS, WATERPROOF WINDPROOF FAMILY TENT
- 1.3.4 4. COLEMAN WEATHERMASTER 6-PERSON TENT WITH SCREEN ROOM
- 1.3.5 5. OT QOMOTOP TENTS, 4/6/8/10 PERSON 60 SECONDS SET UP CAMPING TENT
- 1.3.6 6. COLEMAN DOME TENT WITH SCREEN ROOM
- 1.3.7 7. CORE 9 PERSON EXTENDED DOME TENT
- 1.4 Things To Consider When Looking At A Family Tent
- 1.5 Video Review Of The Best Family Tent
Some of my favorite memories with my kids, as well as with my parents and grandparents took place while we were camping. I love the sense of outdoor adventure, and the joy my children experienced. They thought it was great to go camping, and as a result, it made me seem like a pretty cool dad to them. The sense of excitement was so obvious, and the wide smiles. Of course, as you prepare for your family camping trip, and you are going to need a tent. We looked at the best family tents and reviewed 7 excellent choices that keep you and your family satisfied. Any of the tents listed below would make a solid choice as a family tent. When camping with your whole family getting a camping mattress for couples may be a good idea. They are very comfortable and fit well in this style of tent. To determine which is the best family tent for you, you will need to consider factors such as style (dome or cabin), the total number of people, budget, and if the additional screen-room is important for you.
Best Family Tent Overall
So let’s get right to it for those who don’t like to wait.
The best family tent is the Coleman Cabin Tent With Instant Setup
There are a lot of things to love about this family tent. The first being the incredibly easy setup. This tent is designed for a 60-second setup. That is pretty impressive in our eyes.
We have some tall people in our family, so it is nice to have a tent that is roomy with a 6 ft. 7 in. center height. This helps you from feeling cramped when you stand up.
The family tent is designed for 10 people which is great, especially if your kids are bringing friends with them, which adds to the adventure. It is big enough that you can fit 4 queen-sized air bed mattresses.
Another great feature of this tent is the room divider. This great for privacy when you are getting changed, want to separate the boys from the girls, or for the adults to have a space of their own.
The tent is constructed well to hold up against rainy weather, which is great because no one likes to have wet gear and bedding when you camping.
Do you like to sleep in beyond the sunrise when you are camping? This tent has a darkroom technology that keeps it dark to help you sleep in longer. Additionally, it blocks 90% of the sunlight on inside which also helps reduce the heat in the tent compared to most standard tents.
The last great feature of this tent, which helped it to win our vote is the hinged door design, which makes access in and out easy, especially for kids.
This family tent is not the cheapest option, which may be a factor for some, but no need to worry, as we have included several other good options in our review.
The Best Family Tents Reviewed
So here is a preview of the best family tents we are going to review. Each of the tents was selected because they were best in class for a particular reason. Here is the lineup.
- Best budget dome-style family tent: COLEMAN SUNDOME TENT 6 PERSON
- Best family tent overall: COLEMAN CABIN TENT WITH INSTANT SETUP
- Best large window family tent: HIKERGARDEN TENT 8-PERSON
- Best in climate weather family tent: COLEMAN WEATHERMASTER 6-PERSON TENT WITH SCREEN ROOM
- Best budget cabin style family tent: OT QOMOTOP TENTS
- Best dome style with screen room: COLEMAN DOME TENT WITH SCREEN ROOM
- Best 9 person family tent: CORE 9 PERSON EXTENDED DOME TENT
7 Best Family Tents Reviewed
When it comes to tents, bigger is always better. And when a tent is advertised to fit up to 6 persons, you can tell that it’s large enough for you and your family. The Coleman Sundome Tent offers a spacious 100 square foot area – that fits two queen size mattresses, with a lot of headroom to spare. Plus, it comes with a competitive bargain price that’s hard to beat.
There’s a lot to be said about this tent when it comes to ventilation. It features a double-wall design with a generous mesh cover on both sides and on the ceiling that allows a significant amount of airflow. The bottom is equipped with ground vents that push warm air up so that cool air comes in – making it a solid companion for warm summer nights.
For a budget-friendly tent, the Coleman Sundome has excellent weather protection features. The rainfly extends about 2/3 of the way down the sides of the tent, so it sheds water effectively. Welded corners and covered seams also help keep the interior dry. To make your camping experience more convenient, two mesh pockets are sewn into the tent’s walls at waist height – so you can keep your personal belongings close and within reach.
|Lots of weather-resistant features|
|Ventilates well in hot weather|
|Easy to set up and takedown|
|Very reasonable price|
|Lightweight and easy to carry around|
|Large surface area with lots of headroom|
- WeatherTec System patented welded floors and inverted seams keep water out, Spacious interior, room to stand and move
- Dome design makes setup quick and easy, 10 minutes , Snag-free, continuous pole sleeves for easy setup, Rainfly awning for shade and rain protection
- Floor vent for maximum ventilation, Large windows help cool the tent, Storage pockets keep gear organized
- Insta-Clip pole attachments stand up to winds, 10 ft. x 10 ft. (3 m x 3 m), fits six people or two queen airbeds
- 6 ft.(1.88 m) height, room to stand and move, 1-year limited warranty
The Coleman Cabin Tent with Instant Setup lives up to its name – it’s extremely easy to set up and take down in just 60 seconds, perfect for first-time campers who don’t want to mess around with a bunch of poles and complicated instructions.
I can’t talk about this tent without mentioning its size, which makes it a great family tent. The interior measures 14 x 10 feet and because it’s a cabin-style tent, the walls don’t slope down too much so that there’s a lot of headroom – enough to stand up straight from end to end. It’s large enough to fit up to 10 people, but we all know sleeping together in one tent can be too tight. To solve this problem, this tent comes with a room divider so you can have a bit of privacy while enjoying the outdoors.
Getting in and out of the tent is a breeze because of its patented hinged door. Like other tents from the same brand, this one also comes with Coleman’s innovative WeahterTec System that features welded corners, double seams, and a tub-style floor to make sure your tent withstands the toughest weather.
|Very easy to set up|
|Separate dividers for more privacy|
|Stands up well against windy conditions|
|Lots of headroom|
- Dark room technology: Blocks 90% of sunlight (vs. a comparable Coleman tent) so you can sleep in past sunrise
- Reduces heat: For a more comfortable rest anytime of day
- Weatherproof: Welded corners and inverted seams keep water from getting in; Included rainfly offers extra weather protection
- Visibility at night: Reflective guy lines are easier to spot in the dark
- Room divider: For added privacy
- Instant setup: In as fast as 1 minute
- Roomy interior: 14 x 10 feet. With 6 feet 7 inch center height; Fits 4 queen-size air beds
- 1-year limited warranty
Whether you’re staying in your own backyard or heading out to the backcountry, the HIKERGARDEN 8-Person Camping Tent is an excellent companion for nearly every kind of outdoor adventure. It has a lot of room and fits three queen size mattresses – perfect for your next outing with the whole family.
This spacious camping tent is designed specifically to combat the heat of summer. Almost all major parts are made of breathable mesh – from the ceiling to the windows, and even the door. This delivers enhanced ventilation by pushing up the warmth from the ground so that more cool air flows through. It also comes with an e-port for easy access to electrical power inside the tent.
There’s a lot that can be said about this tent when it comes to durability. It’s made with 185T Polyester – the same material used in high-grade backpacks because of its greater density and higher weave. The strength of the fabric adds a layer of reinforcement against tearing and ripping. It’s enhanced with a polyurethane external coating that acts as a waterproof barrier against the rain.
|E-port for easy access to electricity|
|Wind and waterproof exterior|
|Easy to assemble|
|Compact and travel-friendly size|
|Lots of mesh windows|
The Coleman brand has earned a reputation for producing some of the most durable and high-quality outdoor gear – and the WeatherMaster 6-Person Tent is no different. The frame is built strong enough to withstand tough winds using redesigned poles and guy-out triangles. You won’t have to worry about rain dampening your camping experience, because this tent is equipped with a zipper cuff that protects the hinged door from water leakage – guaranteed to keep you dry no matter the weather.
What makes this family tent unique is its attachable screen room. The external walls are made entirely of zippered mesh which not only keeps the area ventilated but also keeps it safe from insects of any kind. It’s designed to be floorless, so you can put chairs and tables inside without having to worry about tearing or ripping the surface. It’s a great bonus that gives you a pleasant place to sit during the day or an additional sleeping area on warmer nights.
|10 Person Option|
|Keeps the bugs away|
|Hinged door is easy to open and close|
|Lots of storage space|
|Huge center height|
|Plenty of weather protection features|
- Spacious 6-person tent has enough room for 2 queen-size airbeds
- Separate floorless screen room offers bug-free lounging
- WeatherTec system with patented welded floors and inverted seams to keep you dry
- Measures 11 x 9 feet with 6-foot 8-inch center height; Screen room measures 9 x 6 feet
- Rainfly and expandable carry bag included
The key to any family camping trip is comfort – and comfort begins with a reliable tent like the OT QOMOTOP 60-Second Camping Tent. This one may not have a stand-up height, but it has a peak length of up to 59 inches and its four walls are almost completely vertical, so there’s lots of headroom for you and the rest of your family to move around inside.
Its most notable feature is its easy-to-assemble design. This is due to the fact that the tent cover and frame are permanently attached to each other, so all that’s left for you to do is unfold it and extend its telescopic poles – quickly done in just 60 seconds, or less if you work fast.
Like most modern camping tents, this one has its own weather protection system that features dual-layer windows and 68D polyester that gives it a 600mm waterproof rating – similar to your standard umbrella. The floor is also equipped with polyethylene and wielded corners, giving it a bathtub design that has a bit of elevation from the ground.
|Durable fabric construction|
|Easy to assemble|
|Freestanding and easy to move around|
|Comes with an e-port for electricity|
|Floor vent increases airflow inside|
|Lots of headroom|
With a popular brand name and a competitive price tag, the Coleman Dome Tent With Screen Room is an inexpensive option if you have a small family that doesn’t mind sleeping together in one room. It’s lightweight and packs into a compact size that you can easily carry around on your back or in the trunk of your car.
Much like the Coleman WeatherMaster, this tent also comes with an attached screen room that keeps the bugs away and gives you a lot of extra storage room. The rainfly doesn’t extend to the screen room, but it does have drain holes to keep the porch area dry.
When it comes to size, this tent’s main room offers 90 square feet of space and fits up to 6 people. The screen room also doubles as an extra room on warm summer nights when the skies are clear.
|Dome structure is sturdy and aerodynamic|
|Good draining system for rainy weather|
|Lightweight and easy to carry around|
- Weatherproof; Welded corners and inverted seams keep water from getting in; included rainfly offers extra weather protection
- Conventional Pitch: Sets Up in 15 Minutes
- Roomy interior: 15 x 12 ft. With 6 ft. Center height; fits 2 queen-size air beds
- Bug-free lounging: 10 x 5 ft. Full-floor screen room
- Carry bag: Included for easy storage
- 1-year limited warranty
The Core 9-Person Tent isn’t your ordinary dome-design tent. It has a unique feature that utilizes two additional ridge poles on both sides that extends the interior horizontally – maximizing the floor area to give you a wide rectangular base that’s large enough to fit up to nine people.
There are a lot of innovative features that come with this tent. At the top of the list is its seams that are heat-sealed from the rainfly down to the floor – guaranteed to keep water out. Another notable feature is the ventilation system with ground vents that draws cool air in and allows hot air to escape. The size of each vent is adjustable, giving you more control over the temperature inside the tent.
My favorite feature of this tent is the ceiling panels that are mostly made of transparent mesh. It’s a great addition to this sturdy tent that allows you to sleep under the stars, but also keeps you protected from bugs and insects.
|Extremely spacious interior|
|The roof is made of breathable mesh|
|Rainfly is detachable|
|Lots of headroom|
|Adjustable vents allow you to control the temperature|
|Heat-sealed floor and side seams to keep water out|
- Sleeps 9 people; Fits three queen air mattresses; Center Height: 72 inches
- CORE H20 Block Technology and adjustable ground vent.Pole Type: Traditional Fiber Glass Poles
- Features gear loft with lantern hook and pockets to keep items organized and off the tent floor
- Electrical cord access port (port is fully closable when not in use)
- Includes tent, tent poles, rain fly, tent stakes, and carry bag. All Core tents are equipped with water resistant PU coated fabric and taped seams to help keep moisture out
Things To Consider When Looking At A Family Tent
Here are a few things you should consider when deciding which family tent is the best one for you. Like cars, shoes, and clothes, not everything is a one size fits all. There may be some specific things about your tent that are important to you.
How Many People Will You Need To Fit In The Tent?
People buy family tents for different reasons. You may be a family of 3 or 4, but decide you want a slightly larger tent to give you some extra room. If that is the case a 6 person tent may be a perfect family tent for you.
On the other hand, if you have 3 children of your own and they love to bring friends along you should definitely consider a 10 person tent to make room for everyone. The memories will be invaluable. Having a pet you need to make room for might also be a good reason to go with the larger 10 person tent.
What Is The Weather Going To Be Like Where You Are Camping?
Weather can be a factor as well. The Coleman WeatherMaster might be a good choice for you if you live in a wet or colder environment. I am a big fan of getting a tent sealer and waterproof spray as well regardless. This can go a long way at helping to your tent dry even in the worst of weather. The extra investment can go a long way in keeping your family happy.
What Does Your Budget Look Like And How Often Will You Use Your Tent?
If you are on a limited budget, don’t let that stop you. While it is nice to get some of the extra bells and whistles of the more expensive family tents, if all you can afford is a budget tent, don’t worry. The Coleman Dome 6 person tent usually runs right around $100 or so and will just fine. It is quite popular, maybe even the most popular family tent. The important thing is to get outside and enjoy the adventures that are waiting for you and your family.
Video Review Of The Best Family Tent
Our choice for the best family tent is the COLEMAN CABIN TENT WITH INSTANT SETUP. Take a look at the review video of this tent.