The Best Bear Spray For Wildlife Encounters
- 1 The Best Bear Spray For Wildlife Encounters
- 1.1 Best Bear Spray
- 1.1.1 1. SABRE FRONTIERSMAN 7.9 OZ BEAR SPRAY
- 1.1.2 2. COUNTER ASSAULT BEAR REPELLENT SPRAY
- 1.1.3 3. SABRE FRONTIERSMAN 9.2 OZ BEAR SPRAY
- 1.1.4 4. UDAP BEAR SPRAY (COLOR GRIZ GUARD HOLSTER)
- 1.1.5 5. UDAP BEAR SPRAY (CAMO HIP HOLSTER)
- 1.1.6 6. GUARD ALASKA WITH PEPPER ENFORCEMENT HOLSTER
- 1.1.7 7. GUARD ALASKA
- 1.2 How To Use Bear Spray (a.k.a. Bear Mace)
- 1.3 Keep Yourself Safe In Bear Country
- 1.1 Best Bear Spray
If you have ever spent any amount of time in bear country, you know the importance of having the best bear spray you can get your hands on with you. Bear spray is also known as bear mace, so if you hear that term, know that it means the same thing.
There are some great tips to follow when seeing a bear in the wild. They tell you to look as big as you can to the bear. Another great tip is to call out to the bear saying “Hey bear! Hey bear!”. But when it comes right down to it, TRUST ME when I say, you want more than your conversational skills for dealing with a bear in the wild. You want to make sure you are carrying bear spray if it decides it wants to come in for a closer look.
It is amazing how quickly a bear can cover ground, as they hit speeds of over 30 mph. For as big as they are, they seem to appear out of nowhere. Their big padded paws make them rather stealthy, so unless they are crashing through the brush for some reason, you oftentimes never even hear them before they are right there in front of you. Most of the time, the bears will either ignore you or run from you, but if they don’t having bear spray to help defend yourself is a wise choice. You will never regret having the bear repellant spray with you once you have a scary encounter in the wild with a bear.
Our choice for the best bear spray is: COUNTER ASSAULT BEAR REPELLENT SPRAY
When suddenly find yourself face to face with a black, brown, or Kodiak bear, your heart will start racing. It will feel like your heart is in your throat and your adrenaline starts pumps. Keep calm, reach for your bear spray. At the same time confidently call out to the bear. Hopefully, that is enough to send the bear on its way. But if it is not enough and the bear starts to come towards you, then don’t be afraid to use your bear spray. Hopefully, this will help send the bear packing the other way, keeping you safe.
We have a great video at the bottom of the page on how to use bear spray effectively. We also have a great article on how to stay safe during a bear encounter that is well worth the read. Bear spray can also be used against other aggressive wildlife such as cougars, mountain lions, wolverines, and more. It’s always a good idea to bring it with you on your outdoor adventures. Make sure you keep the bear spray close by and easy to grab for when you need it. Stuffed at the bottom of your backpack is not a good place for it. Here is our review of the best bear sprays to help keep you safe.
Best Bear Spray
One of the best features of the SABRE Frontiersman 7.9 oz Bear Spray is the sizeable protective barrier of spray with every burst. It has a great range when being sprayed and maximum strength to let the bear know they don’t want to mess with you.
The SABRE Frontiersman 7.9 oz Bear Spray is designed for protection against essentially every type of Bear. This is a nice advantage. You won’t have to go through endless reviews and descriptions of various products to figure out if this works. Trust us, it is a solid choice for a bear spray no matter the type of bear you may encounter.
It is an exceptional product that you should consider for hiking or any kind of outdoor activity that can make you a visible target for bears.
The SABRE Frontiersman 7.9 oz Bear Spray is easy to use. You will not need to spend a bunch of time reading through the instruction manual. It is very simple to use and comes with an easy deployment mechanism. Hold the handle, aim at the bear, and push down with your thumb. The spraying pattern is similar to almost every conventional Bear sprays available on the market, with a nice range for distance.
It is always a good idea to try it out first before going out. If you are a first time user of a bear spray, then you should understand how it works and practice before you encounter a bear. In addition to that, there are training videos available online that will show you how to use the SABRE Frontiersman 7.9 oz Bear Spray. When considering purchasing this bear spray, the things we like about was the ease of use, it ensures a good spray range for optimum effectiveness, and it offers great stopping power with maximum strength.
- SAFE FOR PRACTICE: Does not contain pepper irritant
- BUILD FAMILIARITY AND CONFIDENCE: Learn how to use bear spray in a safe environment effectively with the Inert Practice Spray and increase your safety through muscle memory and confidence building
- PRACTICE BEFORE HITTING THE TRAIL: Be prepared before you begin your hike by practicing with this inert training unit, which feels and deploys like the real thing providing users with practical experience when training
- NO SURPRISES: This practice spray features the same spray pattern and deployment mechanism as its active FRONTIERSMAN Bear Spray counterpart, so you know what to expect should you encounter a bear
- MAXIMIZE YOUR SAFETY WITH FREE TRAINING: Free online training videos with step-by-step visual instructions are available to help you gain confidence and maximize your safety
The Counter Assault Bear Repellent Spray has gained a lot of popularity as E.P.A. certified distant bear repellant spray. It ensures maximum strength for repelling bears and comes with a great tactical belt holster. This bear spray was our product of choice for the best bear spray.
The Counter Assault Bear Repellent Spray has an exciting feature that comes in handy after the sun goes down. The night glow locator, which makes it easier to locate a bear or identify a bear in the dark.
In addition to that, the Counter Assault Bear Repellent Spray can also spray a great distance. This means that you do not have to be super close to the bear to make your move. This bear spray claims that it is the farthest-reaching as compared to other bear repellant sprays on the market. This is an important benefit as far as we are concerned.
The formulation used in the bear repellant is very good. It contains 2 percent capsaicin and other related capsaicinoid products, which can disable a bear’s vision and ability to smell temporary. After a burst of this bear spray, they will want to turn the other way and run. The Counter Assault Bear Repellent Spray is proven effective on eight species of Bear, including polar bears.
The Counter Assault Bear Repellent Spray is capable of spraying continuously for straight 7 seconds. That may not seem like a long time, but we can assure you, that is a long time standing before a bear. The Counter Assault Bear Repellent Spray is also a tested and certified bear repellant spray that met every E.P.A. requirement and earned the S.N.A.P. certification.
Let’s have a look at the pros and cons.
Here are some of the things we really liked about the Counter Assault Bear Spray.
It is known as the farthest-reaching among all other bear repellant sprays. It has an effective formulation that promises protection against a bear. It has a longer continuous spray capability. S.N.A.P. certified product and it is also eco-friendly.
One thing to note is this tends to be a little more expensive than some of the alternatives. For me personally, when it comes to protecting myself against a possible bear attack, I am willing to pay the extra to get the best quality.
- FARTHEST REACHING BEAR REPELLENT - Counter Assault is the industry leader in bear repellent spray and is the farthest reaching bear spray on the market today - It’s effective up to 32 feet! “When every foot matters”, don’t substitute price for quality!
- “HOTTEST” FORMULA ALLOWED BY LAW - 2% capsaicin and related capsaicinoid products temporarily disable a bear’s abilities to smell and see. Our formula is effective against all 8 species of bear - EVEN POLAR BEARS!
- 8 SECOND CONTINUOUS SPRAY - Our spray lasts longer than basically any other brand, is leak tested for quality, and has a 4 year shelf life. No need to replace your bear spray annually when you have the “Cadillac of bears sprays”!
- ONLY BEAR SPRAY TO MEET ALL EPA REQUIREMENTS FOR S.N.A.P. CERTIFICATION - This is the only bear deterrent pepper spray to meet the requirements of the Significant New Alternative Policy (S.N.A.P) of the clean air act regarding ozone depleting substances.
- MADE IN THE USA - Made in Montana (bear country), by American workers with American materials!
The SABRE Frontiersman 9.2 oz Bear Spray comes with multi-pack options and holster options which is nice. It offers a great spray range and maximum strength to protect against a bear encounter.
One of the best features of this best spray is that it is effective against every type of Bear. The SABRE Frontiersman 9.2 oz Bear Spray offers a very strong formulation. The formulation is 50 percent stronger than the pepper spray used by the police.
The SABRE Frontiersman 9.2 oz Bear Spray offers protection from a very safe distance. It can spray from up to 15 feet away, which makes it a safe option when a bear is charging at you. Trust me, you want to be as far away as you can when spraying this, so reach is important. The SABRE Frontiersman 9.2 oz Bear Spray is also known for its rapid deployment that creates a massive protection barrier to deter a bear.
The SABRE Frontiersman 9.2 oz Bear Spray has been tested and approved by renowned bodies like Health Canada, and the E.P.A. The bear spray is non-flammable and eco-friendly as well.
- MAXIMUM STOPPING POWER: The only bear spray with an in-house HPLC lab to guarantee maximum strength (50% stronger than police strength pepper spray) and eliminate the 30% fail rate experienced by other brands (U. of UT); MADE IN THE U.S.A.
- GREATEST PROTECTION AT SAFEST DISTANCE - 35 FEET: Traveling up to 15 feet (4.6 m) farther than other bear attack deterrents this 9.2 oz bear spray delivers more distance between you and an attacking bear as they charge up to 35 miles per hour!
- GREATEST PROTECTIVE BARRIER PER BURST: Rapidly deploys the heaviest fog of 1.84 oz (52 grams) per 1-second burst (up to 84% more than other brands) to help maximize your safety by deploying a massive barrier of protection to help deter a charging bear
- RIGOROUSLY TESTED FOR CERTAINTY AND PEACE OF MIND: E.P.A. and Health Canada approved, our environmentally friendly bear spray is field-tested and proven effective against all types of bears by the Elmendorf Air Force Base and Brown Bear Resources
- SAFER FOR YOU, THE ENVIRONMENT AND THE BEAR: FRONTIERSMAN temporarily incapacitates a bear’s ability to see or smell while causing no permanent injuries; Safe to use while camping, it is non-flammable, and does not contain any ozone-depleting chemicals
The Udap Bear Spray comes in an appealing orange color and has a holster that offers a superior grip. It hangs on even during trekking or running. So for those of you with every active outdoor activity, this may be the bear spray for you. The Udap Bear Spray claims to offer the most powerful and effective bear spray fog that can repel any attacking or charging Bear.
The product is designed by an experienced survivor of a bear attack. Therefore, it is pretty safe to conclude that the Udap Bear Spray was carefully created and designed. Having experienced a bear attack you know you want something that will work well. The Udap Bear Spray has cleared the guidelines and is approved by authorities such as the EPA.
The Udap Bear Spray disperses the bear repellent quickly in a broad spray pattern with a good range for distance. The bear repellant disperses the ingredients in a particle size spray that will easily be inhaled by a charging bear, making it a good weapon against the Bear. Its simplistic yet stylish look adds more to its appeal, and it is easy to carry around too.
Here are some of the reasons the UDAP made our list of the best bear spray.
It offers a very powerful bear spray fog. It was inspired by real-life experiences. When you have been attacked by a bear, you put some thought into making sure you create a great product. It comes with a great holster that makes it easier to carry around. This is important because you want quick and easy access to effectively protect yourself against a bear. Please note this product creates more fog as opposed to some of the others that send more of a direct stream.
- Includes Exclusive Griz Guard Holster
- Most Powerful Bear Spray Fog
- Developed By A Bear Attack Survivor
- UDAP IS The Most Trusted Bear Spray Brand
- Hottest Bear Spray Allowed By Law
This bear spray comes with a Camo Hip Holster and is essentially the same formula as the Udap Bear Spray with color Griz Guard Holster reviewed earlier.
The Udap Bear Spray with Camo Hip Holster also comes with the same bear repellant spray formula at 2 percent C.R.C., a powerful and effective bear spray fog, offers a spray range of 30 feet. Again, this was created and designed by a person who survived a bear attack and based his creation on his real-life experience.
The Camo Hip Holster is a pretty good holder and that ensures that the bear spray remains handy, comes out easily, and doesn’t fall off easily.
This spray is tested to be effective against eight bear species and comes with a nice holster, which makes it easy to carry on your adventures. The Guard Alaska Bear Repellent Spray canister has a long shelf life. This is great, because you won’t need to replace them very often. It has been tested as well by the E.P.A.
The Guard Alaska Bear Repellent Spray offers a continuous spraying capability of 9 straight seconds. Further, it is safe because it contains non-flammable substances. The Guard Alaska Bear Repellent Spray offers maximum strength and spraying capacity up to 20 feet. This is not quite as far as some of the other sprays we have reviewed, but it is longer than others.
Here are the pros and cons.
Tested and proven as an effective bear repellant spray. It can spray for a longer period as compared to the majority of bear repellant sprays. Offers maximum strength and long-distance spraying capability.
- EFFECTIVE BEAR PROTECTION - Includes ONE (1) Guard Alaska 9 oz. bear repellent spray canister and ONE (1) Pepper Enforcement metal belt clip holster
- TESTED & PROVEN - Guard Alaska was intensively tested for six years in the Alaska wild, and it is the only bear repellent proven to be effective against ALL bear species
- 9 SECOND CONTINUOUS SPRAY - Releases 9 ounces of bear protection in 9 seconds, or may be fired in bursts - Fogger delivery system sprays 15-20 feet quickly engulfing attacking bear for maximum effectiveness
- MAXIMUM STRENGTH - 1.34% total capsaicinoid formula, 9 ounce (255 Grams) UltraMag shotgun size canister, EZ Access Firemaster Actuator
- ENVIRONMENTALLY SAFE - Does not contain flammable or ozone depleting substances - Guard Alaska is the only bear spray tested and proven effective against ALL bear species - Be safe, protect yourself with Guard Alaska
7. GUARD ALASKA
The Guard Alaska Bear Repellant Spray may fall a bit short compared to some of the other bear repellant sprays because it lists itself as being effective against only four types of bears. The Guard Alaska Bear Repellant Spray does offer an impressive spraying range of 15 feet which is good.
Here are the pros and cons of the Guard Alaska Bear Repellant Spray.
It is compact in size. It is an ideal choice for safer hiking locations, where you don’t need as powerful a bear repellant spray (i.e. no grizzly or brown bears).
How To Use Bear Spray (a.k.a. Bear Mace)
Having bear spray, also known as bear mace, is not enough, as you need to know how to use it as well. Check out this video from the park service on the proper carrying and use of bear spray as well as a few other tips on what to do if approached by a bear while in the outdoors.
Keep Yourself Safe In Bear Country
If you are going to be in an area with the potential for bears, we always recommend carrying a canister of bear spray with you. We have reviewed several good options for you to bring with you and pointed out our recommendation for the best bear spray.
If you ride your bike in bear country there are some pretty neat holsters that are made specifically for mounting spray cans on your bike so you can have quick and easy access in the event you run across a bear on your bike. It may be well worth looking at one of these. They also make some nice ones that strap on to your backpack as well.
Rember our tips for dealing with a bear encounter and stay aware of your surroundings. You never know when you may encounter a bear. Stay safe!