The Best Camping Pillow To Help You Sleep Like A Baby
- 1 The Best Camping Pillow To Help You Sleep Like A Baby
- 1.1 Best Camping Pillow
- 1.1.1 1. Trekology Ultralight Inflatable Camping Travel Pillow – Aluft 2.0
- 1.1.2 2. Teton Sports Camp Pillow
- 1.1.3 3. Sea To Summit Aeros Premium Pillow
- 1.1.4 4. Therm-a-rest Compressible Travel Pillow For Camping
- 1.1.5 5. Wise Owl Outfitters Camping Pillow Compressible Foam Pillows
- 1.1.6 6. Leisure Co Ultra-portable & Ultralight Camping Pillow
- 1.1.7 7. Hikenture Camping Pillow With Removable Cover
- 1.2 Tips To Help You Chose The Best Camping Pillow
- 1.3 Trekology ALUFT Inflatable Pillow Hints and Tricks Video
- 1.4 Reason To Get a Camping Pillow
- 1.5 Get Out and Enjoy Your Night of Camping!
- 1.1 Best Camping Pillow
Going camping is one of the simple joys in life, and having the right camping pillow makes it all that more enjoyable. Sure, it’s commonly referred to as “roughing it”, when you go camping, but that doesn’t mean you can’t be comfortable when you sleep. Along with your tent and sleeping bag, as far as I am concerned, a camping pillow is a must-have.
I know what you are thinking, that you already have so many other things to pack for your trip. The reality is they make sleeping so much more comfortable. Let’s face it, your California King mattress is slightly more comfortable than the ground to sleep on. But that’s okay because we are on an adventure. Sleeping on a ground mat (if you are smart), or a camping cot makes things a little comfier, but without a pillow, your neck and head are going to be at an odd angle. This can lead to a stiff neck, a headache, or a very poor night’s sleep. I hate to be a pain in the neck (see what I did there), but you really should get a camping pillow.
I love the feeling of climbing into my sleeping bag to take away the chill of the nighttime air. I close my eyes and listen to the sound of the wild. The loons with their call, the crickets, and frogs all blend together to give you a little slice of heaven. It’s even better with a pillow that is just right. Not too firm, not soft, but just right. Before you know it, you have drifted off to sleep, with dreams of explorations like Lewis and Clark. Okay, so you probably can’t take 3 years off like they did to go exploring, but you can be more comfortable than they were with your camping pillow. Who knows, if they had a comfy camping pillow, they might have stayed out for four years instead. We want you to enjoy your time camping, so we looked at some of the best camping pillows to fit your style.
Before we start our review below, if you are looking for our suggestion on the Best Camping Pillow, our pick is the Trekology Ultralight Camping Pillow. We chose this model because of the excellent design and attention to detail when making this camping pillow. It is just the right size to make it small enough to pack away and take up almost no space, yet when it is inflated for use, it is very comfortable for your head and supports your neck well.
winner of the best camping pillow
We look at 7 of the top camping pillows. Here is a break-down of the list.
Best Camping Pillow
Here’s the deal – a good camping pillow can mean the difference between a rough night and a restful sleep as you are snoozing in your tent. And when it comes to comfort, you can’t go wrong with the TREKOLOGY ULTRALIGHT INFLATABLE CAMPING TRAVEL PILLOW. As a matter of fact, we picked this pillow to be the best camping of all the pillows we looked at.
I usually pack light when camping, so it’s no surprise that this pillow’s compact size is what appealed to me the most. When deflated, it shrinks down to about five inches and fits effortlessly into your pocket. It’s advertised to be “as light as a soda can” and it definitely lives up to the hype – weighing less than 4 ounces, this pillow adds no extra weight to your luggage.
This pillow is constructed with a unique combination of 80% polyester and 20% TPU fabric, to give you the perfect balance between temperature-controlled comfort and water resistance in case of harsh weather. As an added layer of comfort, the front part is equipped with soft inter-layers to provide extra cushioning.
Designed specifically for back sleepers, this camping pillow features an ergonomic design that provides both lumbar and neck support. To ensure a firm hold, the top surface is equipped with anti-slip rubber to keep your neck and head in one specific position. And here’s the best part: it inflates in just five breaths and comes in a wide range of different colors to choose from.
This pillow is breathable and has temperature-regulating material which makes it comfortable when sleeping. I love the fact that this camping pillow comes in a wide range of color options. Some people prefer the basic black color, but when I bought this for my son, I went with the orange option and he loved it. The lightweight design is just what you would want for it to be portable and compact. I really like the non-slip surface and the fact that it packs down so small.
- Small in Size - Big on Comfort! This is the most compact & lightweight inflatable camp pillow on the market – folds down to 5x2 inches, smaller than a soda can! Inflates to a comfortable pillow for head or lumbar support. Deflating back down in only seconds. This backpacking pillow can easily be carried in your backpack or pocket for convenient access. Weighing a mere 3.9oz (110g), lighter than a can of soda!
- New in 2.0! Now More Durable Than Ever! Enhanced design with latest highly durable elastic TPU fabric that boasts water resistance. So, whether sleeping under the stars in the mountains, in your boat on the open seas, tenting at your favorite national park or staying at a hotel on holiday—your Aluft comfort travel pillow is the perfect travel companion.
- New in 2.0! Sleep Without Worry with Our Propitiatory Dot and Latch Design - No more slipping off your pillow in the middle of the night! The new Aluft 2.0 pillow back contain rubber anti-slipping dots to increase frictions between your pillow and the sleeping mat. A latch strap pairs well with air inflatable sleeping pads canfurther prevent your pillow from moving around while you sleep. All these features are designed with your ultimate comfort in mind!
- New in 2.0! Newly Stylish Designed with Your Ultimate Comfort in Mind - Improved Ergonomic Design with Enhanced neck support for a restful night’s sleep! The Aluft 2.0 Comfort Air Pillow is ideal for back, side and stomach sleepers alike. Inflates to a generous 16 x 12 x 4 inches, in a mere 3-5 breaths (approx.). Ergonomically designed for superior neck and back support while you travel—sleep like at home. The only thing left to decide is where to go.
- Ease Of Use! With the simple click of a button, Inflate pillow by mouth with approximately 5-8 breaths. Once you are done you can conveniently deflate the pillow with the Quick Deflate feature which rapidly releases air after use in only seconds. With the unique technology in this compact and light pillow, you are able to adjust firmness to your personal sleep preference. You can Rest easy with our 100% Satisfaction Guarantee!
From daytime lounging to overnight excursions – the Teton Sports Camp Pillow is the ultimate comfort accessory for your next camping trip.
At first glance, it features a traditional design that closely resembles any other bedroom pillow, just a smaller version of it. Oh yeah, and it comes in a cool plaid color which I love, giving it the perfect outdoorsy feel when you are camping. What makes it stand out is its superior construction. It’s made up of double brushed P5 poly hi-count fabric for a soft outer layer and then filled with 4-channel hollow fiber to give it that extra bounce.
What I love most about this pillow is its extra-large size for a camping pillow, which gives you plenty of surface area to move around at night. It also comes with a bonus item: a pillowcase made of brushed flannel that’s soft on your skin without absorbing too much heat, even on warm summer nights.
Unlike most of the pillows on this list, this one isn’t inflatable. Instead, it fluffs up and is ready to use right out of the carrying bag. While this feature makes it larger to carry around, this pillow makes up for the extra size by being lightweight enough to fit inside your camping bag without really adding much for weight.
It’s nice that it comes with a free washable pillowcase. Pro-tip, if you ever have a camping pillow without a pillowcase, you can always slide it inside of a t-shirt.
Some of our favorite things about this pillow are the large surface area and the soft breathable fabric on the skin. It also has good neck support. For you fashion-conscious campers, the pillow comes in four different color options.
- SMALL PILLOW THAT’S BIG ON COMFORT: Extra soft travel pillow is the perfect support when it’s time to relax; Just right for camping, backpacking and road tripping
- WASHABLE: Designed to be taken anywhere; This travel pillow and pillowcase can be washed together or separately
- NO INFLATING NECESSARY: Pillow lofts up on its own; Whether you’re sleeping under the stars, driving cross-country or on an airplane, you’ll rest easy
- MATCHING CAMPING GEAR: Each pillow matches the lining of one or more TETON Sports Sleeping Bags and packs down tight
- TETON SPORTS PROMISE: Reach out to our AMAZING product support team if you have any questions or concerns; YOU CAN COUNT ON US to get you taken care of and back OUTDOORS with TETON Sports
Whatever your comfort style – stiff, extra soft, or totally flat – the SEA TO SUMMIT AEROS PREMIUM PILLOW can do it all for you. It takes the traditional camping pillow to the next level by adding a modern feature: an easy-to-adjust valve that allows you to adjust its firmness for more customizable comfort.
This camping pillow comes in a kidney-bean shape that’s similar to the usual travel pillows used in planes. Its curved ergonomic design gives you an extra layer of support, especially when fully inflated. Its scalloped bottom edge makes a comfortable headrest by centering around your shoulders when you’re sleeping on your back and cradles your neck when you’re sleeping on the side.
There are a lot of things to love about this pillow, but what stood out to me the most was its knit fabric exterior. Compared to microfiber fabric, it’s softer on the skin and also generates better airflow to prevent sweat while you are sleeping. And then there’s its compact size; this pillow packs down small – and when I say small, I mean it deflates and folds into approximately the size of an apple! You will notice this camping pillow is comfortable for both back and side sleepers.
- Lightweight inflatable pillow with a soft brushed knit exterior is ideal for camping or travel
- Multi-function mini valve provides easy inflation, fast deflation and the ability to fine-tune the pressure
- Technical fabrics reduce weight, will withstand exposure to moisture and pack down small
- Compatible with Sea to Summit camping sleeping mats with PillowLock patches to secure pillow in place
- Large size (curved)16.5 x 11.8 x 5.1-inches, packs to 3.1 x 4.1-inches and weighs 4.0oz
The THERM-A-REST COMPRESSIBLE TRAVEL PILLOW deserves a spot on this list because it meets the three-C criteria – compressible, compact, and comfortable. While it packs down small, this pillow fully expands to up to 4-inches thick, making it one of the thickest, and not to mention fluffiest, choices on this list.
What makes this pillow unique is that it’s filled with foam, instead of the usual fiberfill. This means that it’s firmer and doesn’t build up lumps after extended use. Another standout feature is its clever pack-into-itself design – it compresses into itself so that it’s easy to store in a duffel bag or tote bag. It’s also fully customizable, coming in four different sizes and a variety of different color options.
I personally love products that have eco-friendly features, and this camping pillow is one of my favorites because it’s safe for both you and the environment. Its urethane filling is upcycled from the byproduct of the brand’s mattresses during production which means it is made with eco-friendly and recycled material.
This camping pillow has a pack-into-itself design, which is nice. It is fully compressible and easy to loft up. The firm foam filler provides for better back support if you want to have to pillow server double duty as a travel pillow. For you fashionistas, there are 4 different sizes and colors to choose from.
- Ultralight (12 ounce) compressible travel pillow with soft foam filling that packs down small for road trips, plane travel, camping, and backpacking
- Foam filling expands into a 4-inch thick pillow for head, neck, and back support in tents, cars, planes, and other tough-to-get-comfortable places
- Compact design packs into a backpack, duffle, suitcase, or tote; drawstring and cord lock keeps pillow securely compressed when not in use
- Brushed polyester cover is soft against skin for comfort; lofty urethane fill is an upcycled byproduct of Thermarest mattresses
- Pillow measures 16 x 23 x 4 inches (16 x 7 x 7 inches compressed) and weighs 12 ounces; before use, shake and fluff to restore loft; machine washable; made in the USA
Wise Owl Outfitters is a brand that’s known for producing durable and long-lasting camping hammocks – so you can expect the same quality from its camping pillow.
This pillow prides itself on being one of the very few products on the market that offers a memory foam texture – but without the usual bulk. Another prominent feature is its easy storage. It rolls and folds small into the free carrying bag, but once you pull it out again, it blossoms into a puffy, firm pillow with just the right amount of thickness.
The fact that it comes in three different sizes is an absolute plus for me. This pillow is a great travel accessory to have with you when camping with the family, as the smaller-sized versions are the perfect fit for kids. The outer cover is made of micro-suede – a form of polyester fabric that’s water-resistant, stain proof, and easy to clean.
This camping pillow is fully compressible for easy storage when packing your gear. It comes with a free drawstring bag and water-resistant, stain-proof cover which is easy to wash and clean. It also has several color options.
- Versatile: Whether you're sleeping on a hammock, a plane, a beach, in a car, RV, or under a tent, our hammock pillow will give you a great night's sleep wherever you lay your head.
- Comfortable: Made with cushioned memory foam wrapped in a soft, micro-suede cover, our backpacking pillow gives you a truly supportive rest that your head and neck will thank you for! Need a bit of a boost? Our compressible pillow can double as a seat cushion, too!
- Compact: Lightweight and portable, our small camping pillow easily compresses down into its waterproof stuff sack. The small size expands to 12 x 16 (9 oz in weight) & the medium 14 x 18 (11 oz in weight) for ultimate support and comfort. Throw it in your backpack and go!
- Easy Clean: Designed for hassle-free cleaning, our camp pillow is machine washable and dryer friendly thanks to its removable pillow cover. You can even throw the whole pillow in the washer with the pillow case cover on cool temp gentle cycle and low temp dryer for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Holiday Gifts: If you're looking for a thoughtful holiday gift for the outdoorsy person in your life, look no further! Our travel pillows make great hiking and camping gifts for men and women.
The name says it all – this camping pillow from Leisure Co weighs almost nothing, making it the ultimate lightweight option for your next camping trip.
Because it comes in a fully inflatable design, this pillow can be easily customized to fit your preferred comfort level. It also features a large surface area and a contoured shape that makes a great choice for campers suffering from back pain or posture problems.
We can’t talk about this pillow without mentioning its durability. The outer lining is made of jersey-type brushed cotton with raised fibers that not only withstand normal wear and tear but also make it extra soft on the skin. This kind of fabric is also extremely insulating – an excellent choice for rainy days and cold months.
This camping pillow has a two-way valve, allowing you to adjust the firmness. It also comes with a free storage bag with a strap. This pillow is nice and firm when fully inflated. I really like the durable brushed cotton fabric on the outside of the pillow, making it great for cold weather.
- Super compact & light: perfectly portable for backpacking, hiking, car & air travel, and more! Comes with a strap to clip it to your bags.
- Contoured design is great for both ergonomic neck and lumbar support, and is perfect for stomach, side and back sleepers.
- Soft & breathable luxury brushed cotton for the comfiest touch on your skin, with an added cushion layer for more padding and comfort. Also machine washable for easy upkeep.
- Inflates easily with just 3 to 5 breaths. Two-way valve makes it quick & easy to inflate and deflate.
- Weighs just 5.3oz. Inflated size: 17.5" x 10" x 3.5". Compressible & Packs down to 3" x 3" x 5.5".
Looking for a camping pillow that won’t break the bank? The HIKENTURE CAMPING PILLOW checks off my list of some of the best features to look out for – and retails at a great price.
I’m usually wary when it comes to inflatable pillows because without the foam support, there’s always a chance of air leakage. But the Hikenture pillow solves this problem by incorporating a separate layer that’s made of thickened TPU – a strong plastic material that has high abrasion resistance for extra durability. All in all, you get two strong layers of fabric to prevent scratches and leakage.
What immediately caught my attention was this pillow’s built-in elastic strap. It makes a unique and convenient addition to keep your pillow in place by attaching it to your sleeping bag – so there’s no need to constantly reposition the pillow as you sleep. It’s also adjustable to different heights with just the click of the outer valve.
I like the contoured, ergonomic design along with the durable TPU layer to prevent air leakage throughout the night.
- UPGRADE FOR BEST DURABILITY - No more air leaks with our upgraded camping pillow! Unlike most inflatable pillows with only a thin TPU layer under the fabric, our air pillow comes with a separate bladder made from thickened TPU material and prevents air leaks effectively. We have performed nearly 1,000 quality checks before shipment and assure you a 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE once our pillow does not live up to your expectations.
- UPGRADE with REMOVABLE, WASHABLE COVER – More comfortable and more hygienic with cover. The skin-friendly outer surface is made of breathable cotton and ensures a super soft touch, while the inner woven polyester layer adds extra comfort to your sweet dreams and reduces annoying noise while turning over. The pillow case could be simply removed and washed for easy care.
- UPGRADE FOR YOUR MAXIMIZED COMFORT - Our blow-up pillow ensures your ultimate comfort in multiple positions. For either back or side sleeping, you are offered sufficient head and neck support thanks to the enhanced pillow height and unique ergonomic design that perfectly fits your neck. Pillow height and firmness through valve adjustable to fit your preferences. Our ergonomic pillow also serves as a lumbar pillow and helps alleviate back pain due to long travel or work time.
- DETAILS DESIGNED FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE: With unique ONE-CLICK VALVE, our travel pillow is fully inflated in only a few breaths. Simply click the button and the valve lets air in, without losing air when you take another breath. Click the button again and the hiking pillow deflates just in seconds. Enjoy your sound sleep through night thanks to the DETACHABLE ELASTIC STRAP on the back of pillow which keeps your backpacking pillow in place on e.g. sleeping pads.
- SIMPLIFY YOUR PACKAGE IN SPACE AND WEIGHT: Simplify your package while traveling, camping or on your business trips with our ultralight portable neck pillow. Thanks to the lightweight and compact design, our neck cushion packs down to just the size of a soda can and is easy to bring with.
Tips To Help You Chose The Best Camping Pillow
How Compact Does Your Gear Need To Be?
If you are just throwing all your gear in your car and driving right to your campsite with no hiking involved, then your gear may not need to be overly compact. If on the other hand, you are packing your camping pillow and other gear into a backpack, then you may want to make sure the pillow you choose is compact. I personally like the inflatable style pillow as they give you great support, but store away very easily. It’s great to have a pillow that is smaller than the size of a soda can when packing your gear.
How Firm Do You Like Your Pillow?
Just like when you are purchasing a regular pillow, camping pillows come in different sizes, shapes, and firmness. The material used to fill the pillow will make a difference. One of the advantages of the inflatable pillows is that you can fill them to the exact firmness you like. Some of the pillows are made from foam that makes them feel firmer than a stuffed pillow. Everyone has their own preference, so take that into consideration.
Do You Like A Flat Or Shaped Pillow For Your Head?
As I mentioned before, camping pillows come in different sizes and shapes. Some are pretty square and level across the surface of the pillow. Others have a slightly concave shape, that provides just the right nook for your head to settle down into. A few of the designs look like they are meant to double as a travel pillow that can give you back support as well. If that is something important to you, it may make a difference in your choice.
Trekology ALUFT Inflatable Pillow Hints and Tricks Video
Check out the video below for all the tips and tricks you need for using the Trekology ALUFT inflatable pillow on your camping adventures. We think you’ll like the t-shirt trick and also be amazed at how easy it is to inflate and deflate this pillow.
Reason To Get a Camping Pillow
You should be convinced by now that bringing a pillow with you when you go camping is well worth it, BUT just in case, here are a few reasons to bring one with you.
They are incredibly lightweight. No need to worry about having to carry extra weight. I’ve never seen one that is more than a pound and the inflatable-style camping pillows typically weigh only a few ounces.
A pillow is much cheaper than a chiropractor appointment! I hate it when I sleep the wrong way and wake up with a stiff neck. Don’t let poor sleeping decisions be the reason for the pain in your neck.
They are super compact and take up hardly any room, especially the inflatable kind. Don’t worry about them taking up too much room in your pack.
You never know when you may need something to throw at your husband! Just kidding, we don’t recommend throwing things at your partner. Of course, spontaneous pillow fights have been known to break out on a camping trip or two.
A waterproof pillow can make for an enjoyable night of rest. No need to worry about a regular pillow getting soaked and then trying to sleep on it. This is another reason we suggest inflatable pillows.
The smell of campfire smoke is tough to get out of your bedroom pillow. By having a pillow specifically for camping you can alleviate this issue. While a campfire tends to smell good while you are camping, this is probably not the smell you want back in your house.
Get Out and Enjoy Your Night of Camping!
We hope this has been helpful. We have provided you with some excellent options and a few things to look at when considering how to choose the right camping pillow for you. Spending time outside camping is a great way to relax and recharge, so get out and enjoy your night of camping!